Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Unusual birth control?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Unusual birth control?
soft_masc
Neophyte
Member # 108895

Icon 5 posted      Profile for soft_masc         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a copper IUD, which I understand to be one of the most effective contraception options that brings my risk pretty close to zero. However, it's also my understanding that a back-up method in addition is an improvement on even those odds. I've been on testosterone therapy for 10 weeks and have stopped menstruating for now, but since it's still early days periods may sometimes make a reappearance or two. Is it reasonable to consider testosterone a back up method for me?
Posts: 27 | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Soft Masc
You're right that a back-up method can help bring the risk even closer to zero. I'm not sure if testosterone counts as back-up, especially if you're not at the point where your period has completely ceased. I would check with your doctor to see if they have any sense of if that is something that testosterone can eventually do for you or not.

In the meantime, a barrier method (like condoms and dental dams) might be a good option for you, especially since (and you can correct me if I'm wrong on this) you may find it uncomfortable to add the side effects from a hormonal BC into the mix with any side effects from you testosterone therapy. If you'd like, you can also try out birth control bingo:
Birth Control Bingo!

[ 03-20-2014, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soft_masc
Neophyte
Member # 108895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soft_masc         Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding of testosterone therapy and hormonal BC is that those are hormones you don't want to be adding to your body at the same time. My period has stopped, it's just possible (although unlikely) for it to show up unexpectedly.
The thing with condoms is that my girlfriend is on androgen blockers, which reduce her erections such that condoms can't really do their job well.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, from the info I've been able to find, it looks like it is possible (although very unlikely) to get pregnant while on testosterone. And, frustratingly, there is very little data on what the exact odds of that are.

If you're finding that external condoms are a no go, have you considered using an internal condom? Or have you tried that and found it causes similar issues?

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soft_masc
Neophyte
Member # 108895

Internal condoms just mean that neither of us gets any sensation. Between a copper IUD and testosterone, can I reasonably consider myself as safe as I'm getting from pregnancy?
soft_masc
Neophyte
Member # 108895

In case that wasn't clear, I meant we tried internal and found them to have that effect.
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Copper IUDs have a very high rate of effectiveness, over 99%. So, yes, you are fairly safe using the IUD alone.

The top benefit of using a second method, such as a condom, would be protection from STIs. Are you two up to date with your screenings? That would be one thing to do when plannign to ditch condoms altogether.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there isn't a lot of data on how likely it is to become pregnant on T, but certainly eventually and maybe even early on, I think you could compare it to a "backup method" in terms of reducing your risk.

When I asked a doctor how likely it would be to get pregnant when taking testosterone, his response was that he couldn't tell me it was impossible but that he hadn't heard of it happening. This was after I'd been taking it for several years, so the effect probably won't be as great for you now, but as time goes on it'll only become less likely.

I don't have exact data on this either, but your partner's hormone treatments will probably be impacting the likelihood of pregnancy as well!

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soft_masc
Neophyte
Member # 108895

We both had full STI screenings five months ago and are in the middle of getting a new round right now.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.