Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Expired Encare

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Expired Encare
steelandstars
Neophyte
Member # 107285

Icon 5 posted      Profile for steelandstars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was last active with my fiance, I used Encare that had expired nearly four months ago. We did not engage in intercourse, but did have penetrative sex (fingering, for me). He assures me that there was nothing on his hands that would cause worry for pregnancy, but I'm concerned that expired Encare would not be enough protection, and I'm very close to my fertile period (day 10, and I usually ovulate around day 12-16).
Does anyone have thoughts on this? I would much rather not be a pregnant bride, and expired birth control doesn't give me peace of mind (especially when I thought it was not expired!).
Thank you for your help [Smile]

--------------------
steelandstars

Posts: 3 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi steelandstars,

So, if you and he only engaged in manual sex, then the expired encare is not a concern as far as pregnancy risk goes, as manual sex does not carry a pregnancy risk.

Have you taken steps to make sure you have non-expired BC (hormonal or otherwise) for when you do decide to engage in sex that carries a pregnancy risk?

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steelandstars
Neophyte
Member # 107285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steelandstars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sam, and thank you for responding :-) We're actually abstaining from intercourse until marriage (I had a very traumatic pregnancy scare a year ago), so birth control is typically not an issue. Still, when I'm around my fertile period, I try to be cautious and responsible, so this event really took me by surprise!
I suppose I'm wary of manual sex at times because of the horror stories I've heard online, when there has been manual 'safe' sex, yet a pregnancy occurs 0.0

--------------------
steelandstars

Posts: 3 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're quite welcome [Smile]

So, there are a lot of "horror stories" online in which people insist that they (or their sisters cousins best friend) got pregnant from manual sex. However, with the one exception of someone ejaculating on their hand and then immediately inserting it into the vagina or onto the vulva, manual sex cannot cause pregnancy. I think you might want to give these pieces a read:
Human Reproduction: A Seafarer's Guide
Legit or Unfit? Finding Safe, Sound Sex Educators & Support Online

[ 03-24-2014, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steelandstars
Neophyte
Member # 107285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steelandstars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fiance would be in very deep trouble with me if he did that! Thanks again for responding, and I will definitely read these.

--------------------
steelandstars

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.