Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Scared of going on birth control - The pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scared of going on birth control - The pill
Kittzy
Neophyte
Member # 109645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kittzy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,
I've just been having some slight scares about going on the pill as I have heard some scary things, such as people becoming more prone to breast cancer after they've taken it, blood becoming a lot more easier to clot, you have to find the right pill for you and the fact that you're basically controlling your body's hormones, which isn't so natural.
This, like it would most people, is definitely scaring me like hell. I do want to go on the pill for many reasons, such as lighter periods, less frequent mood swings (Yep, I can be so innocent one second, then be the Hulk the next.), more regular periods, being able to have sex (with condoms) and be safe from pregnancy if the primary method (condoms) were to fail. (I've had 2 experiences with the Plan B pill in the past and it's now I've learnt my lesson and really hoping to go on the pill, just so me and my partner can be a little more intimate and definitely safer).
I have spoken to my mum about this and she said that she had the coil for 10 years, as she thought taking pills each day would become forgetful. I think I'll be responsible for the timing of each pill I take.
I plan on taking the pill for 6 months. After that, I'm hoping I'll grow out of this sex drive, if not, then I'll make sure it calms down by having a chat with my partner. (My boyfriend and I always talk and plan things, just so everything is nice and passionate when it comes to it). He also said that whatever my decision is, he'll support me. Well, so far - that's right. He also said that he'll wait for me, if I believe that I'M not ready for sex, but this time... I am.
Once I've stopped the pill, I'm also scared of these things happening:
- A breakout in acne. I've never had acne before.
- Weight gain. Sounds silly, but I don't think I'm too scared of this one... I'll accept how I look no matter what and not make a big deal out of it. (Not meaning to sound self-centred. I've gone out of that phase of being put down by people for either being 'too fat' or 'too skinny')
- Hair loss. I saw somewhere, that a girl had been on the pill for 3 years and when she stopped, her hair started to fall out. She also lost some ability to be able to sense a lingering scent after she stopped. (So scary).
- My risk of breast cancer would be higher than normal after stopping the pill. This risk would last for 10 years, then go back to normal. Apparently.
- Becoming infertile, or less fertile. I definitely do want children in the future, but not until I'm in my twenties, at least.
I guess I just need some reassurance.
Is the pill really that bad? Or is it just how I'm believing it? I know there are many benefits that come out of it, but is it really that dangerous?
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Posts: 5 | From: England | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are not planning on consistently using birth control, you might be better off looking into barrier methods, rather than getting started on a hormonal method. It can take the body around three months to get used to hormonal birth control, and then around that long again to get back to its regular cycle once you quit hormonal birth control. So, that'd be a lot of trouble to put your body through just for 6 months.

I am going to link you to an article that might help you find a method of birth control that fits your current needs better: Birth Control Bingo!

But it also sounds like it might be a good ideas to discuss your fears and thoughts with a gynecologist.

Lastly, I am not sure what you mean by wanting to only take the pill for 6 months and hoping to "grow out of this sex drive". Can you elaborate on that?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kittzy
Neophyte
Member # 109645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kittzy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for replying.
At the moment, I feel as if I'm thinking too much about sex and maybe that has something to with my hormones making me feel that way. I just want to get used to living in the present and not over thinking this kind of stuff, because I have a life time for it all!
What I meant, was that I want my 'sex drive' to calm down, but many have told me that this is part of the teenager most people grow into at one point in life. I just find that unbelievable, to be honest.

Posts: 5 | From: England | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chances are that there is nothing wrong with your hormones. As people develop into adults, what is most typical is for people to develop increasing sexual feelings and desires.

This is not even about just being a teenager, so much as that that is when those increased feelings and desires tend to start to become prominent.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.