Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Help! Dropped birth control pill down sink!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help! Dropped birth control pill down sink!
lkv246
Neophyte
Member # 109675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lkv246     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's Friday night and my doctor's office isn't open till Monday. My mom who is an RN advised me to take the next day's pill and just start next month's pack a day earlier by skipping the last placebo pill. Will I be ok?
Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bookwormfairy
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bookwormfairy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was the pill you dropped a placebo pill? If was then you are ok, just take the next days pill as normal then since placebo pills are just sugar pills and are just there so you take the active ones on time.

--------------------
~Lillian

Posts: 263 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lkv246
Neophyte
Member # 109675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lkv246     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No it was an active pill [Frown]
Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bookwormfairy
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bookwormfairy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so in my opinion depending on how far along you are in the pack, I would take the pill you dropped from the new pack you have and just continue from there on the new pack, like say you drop the first pill from second week in this pack so you go to the new pack and start from there.
Then on Monday call the doctor for a refill

Another way is if you are at the end and dropped one of the last active pills then in my opinion I would just stop taking it and wait until bleeding starts, which would happen pretty soon after, just start a whole new pack and if you are sexually active, use protection from when you stopped taking it to a week or so after starting the new pack.

This is just the way I did it before in my own experience so do what you think would be better for you, of course professional advise is better.

[ 02-28-2014, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: bookwormfairy ]

--------------------
~Lillian

Posts: 263 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lkv246
Neophyte
Member # 109675

It was day 2 of the new pack I lost down the sink. I ended up taking day 3 of the pack. I do not have a new pack on back up since this pack I literally picked up a few days ago.
bookwormfairy
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44107

You can try planned parenthood for a new pack. Ok, with this information, another possibility is to take next pill and skip placebo pills all together and go on to a new pack.

--------------------
~Lillian

lkv246
Neophyte
Member # 109675

Okay, thank you! I'll call my doctor Monday but the third week when I will be short a pill I should be ok? Im on Gildess Fe 1/20 and Im pretty sure each active pill is the same.
lkv246
Neophyte
Member # 109675

I mean, until the 3rd week where I will eventually miss the pill unless my doctor can give me an extra, I should be okay up to that day?
bookwormfairy
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44107

Yes it is monophasic, meaning the same dosage is in each pill, just use protection until a week after you start the new pack. For now just continue taking them a normal and call the doctor on Monday and see what they say to err on the safe side. Here's articles on the pill for more info - http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control_bingo_the_combination_pill
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-control-pill-4228.htm

[ 02-28-2014, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: bookwormfairy ]

--------------------
~Lillian

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just in case you are still looking for info on this, I'd advise against shortening the active pill cycle by one day. You'll just want to keep taking your pills as directed, and when you get to the end of the pack, make up the missed pill with a pill from a spare pack so that you have taken the complete cycle of active pills. Then do your placebo week, just as directed, and start a new pack at the end of it.

Ideally, you'll want to keep that spare pack handy so you can use it to make up pills when one goes missing.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.