Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Where to store BCPs.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where to store BCPs.
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like I'm full of questions lately...well here's another!

I have heard that extreme hot temperatures or extreme cold temperatures, or water can affect the effectiveness of BCPs. I think once upon I time I also heard that storing them in the bathroom is a bad idea because of moisture from showers.

So where would be a good, safe place to store them in the house?

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your pills come in a blister pack, where you have to pop them through foil to take them, they should be safe from moisture; I don't see any reason not to keep them in the house.

Honestly, any temperature you feel comfortable in should be fine for your pills. Leaving them in a car for several sunny days on end might be a problem, but normal home temperatures will be fine.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most kinds of medication will come with storage instructions. You're right that birth control pills should not be stored in extreme temperatures or in the damp.

If the bathroom gets steamy and damp, it's probably better not to keep them in the bathroom. Also, make sure they're not in direct sunlight or literally right next to or on top of a heater. If there are young children or pets in the house who might be able to get into medication, then it should also be stored away from them. Other than that, most places in the average house will be just fine [Smile] Maybe a drawer of yours would do the trick?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tips Molias and Redskies [Smile]

A drawer sounds like a good spot to keep them.

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.