Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth Control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control
Lizzie14
Neophyte
Member # 108282

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lizzie14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soooooo I'm on Gianvi, the generic version of Yaz. I take it at 5, but I took it late (10:30!) on Saturday. Saturday was my 16th day of the pill, so a little over 2 weeks. My boyfriend slept over that night and we had sex with a condom, all normal. But in the morning we had unprotected and he came inside. I wasn't thinking. He wasn't thinking. I don't know how worried I should be about this. My period is due in 6 days.
What should I do? How big is this risk?

Oh, I started Birth Control a couple days before my last period was due, not on the sunday method or the first day. I therefore skipped it last month, but I know THATS not from pregnancy. .

Posts: 11 | From: Virginia | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Combined oral contraceptives have a 12 hour grace period to take them within before they are late.

Therefore, if you take your pill properly by that token and otherwise - and if you have already been on the pill for more than one full cycle, a full cycle taken properly, you already have its full effectiveness - you are likely to have the full effectiveness of your pill, which is over 99% effective in one year of use.

Some people are comfortable with that, alone, others will always want to use a second method, too, like condoms. It is up to you to decide, moving forward, what you want and do and do not feel comfortable with.

[ 12-04-2013, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lizzie14
Neophyte
Member # 108282

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lizzie14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So a full cycle is a week? I wasn't very worried, but I just want to be confident and give him peace of mind as well [Smile] Thank you so much!
Posts: 11 | From: Virginia | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lizzie,

A full cycle refers to one full pack of pills.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lizzie14
Neophyte
Member # 108282

How much protection does 2 weeks provide? How great is this risk?
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For most people who start the pill either on the first day of their period or the first Sunday after a period, the pill will likely be effective after seven days of use.

However we, as well as other credible sources, advise users to give their pills one full cycle before going without a backup to play it safe.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you did not start your pills on day one of your period, or before the first Sunday of your period, then the first pack may or may not be fully effective within that whole cycle.

We do not have the data -- it would be impossible for anyone to have those kinds of figures -- for how much or how little it may be. All we know is that when not starting that way, it may not be within the first cycle, which is why the patient information and physician directions when starting otherwise will usually make clear to use a backup during that first pack when not started on day one or a Sunday start.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.