Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Safe sex...?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Safe sex...?
OCallyDana
Neophyte
Member # 109082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OCallyDana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So a while ago, I had sex with my boyfriend. We used a condom, I was on birth control pills, and both of us panicked afterward so we bought and used Plan B.

First of all, is there any likelihood of pregnancy with all three options?
Second of all, how could we better protect me from pregnancy? I can't get pregnant because of the school I attend (Private Christian school), but I'm not quite ready to abstain either...

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi OCallyDana and welcome to Scarleteen,

First of all, what you're asking about is contraception. Safe sex--or more accurately, safer sex--is about reducing the risks of STI transmission, which is also very important.

For future reference, Plan B does the same thing as daily birth control pills, so unless you were not taking your pills effectively, Plan B wasn't necessary and won't be necessary in future. To be clear, taking Plan B while also taking daily birth control, unless there's been an error in taking that birth control, doesn't reduce your risk of pregnancy.

Using condoms and taking the birth control pill is pretty much as effective as you're going to get for contraception. Take a look: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

Regarding STIs (sexually transmitted infections): are both you and your boyfriend up-to-date on your STI testing? That's just as important as preventing unwanted pregnancy when making sexual decisions.

Here too is some information about most effectively using your birth control pills, should you feel like you need that:

Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

Does this help clear things up at all?

[ 12-13-2013, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, if you feel like you want to limit the risk of pregnancy further or feel nervous even using two forms of birth control, you could check out this article about types of sex that carry NO Pregnancy Risks.

There are certainly a lot of options for sex that don't carry a risk of pregnancy. Some times people have the idea that intercourse is the only "real" kind of sex, or that it's the most important type, but plenty of people either prefer other types of sex to intercourse or enjoy them just as well.

Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OCallyDana
Neophyte
Member # 109082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OCallyDana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Robin!!
Thank you so much for your information. It helped a LOT. We are up to date on STI testing, both of us were virgins (well, he said he was, I trust him anyway [Razz] )
I had no idea Plan B was just birth control...I won't be buying that again if I'm already on it!
I was just worried because I've been having lots of discharge, I wasn't sure if that meant anything...
Thank you for your help!
Sincerely,
OCallyDana

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're very welcome.

Here's some information on vaginal discharges: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.