Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » condoms and outercourse

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: condoms and outercourse
gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gilang5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Scarleteen [Smile]

Which method is more effective in preventing pregnancy, condoms or outercourse (handjob and fingering?

Posts: 69 | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gilang5,

I'm really not quite clear on what you're asking here, particularly as fingering isn't a way people get pregnant.

Can you please give me a little more detail on what you're wanting to know?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gilang5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply, Robin

So me and my gf were practicing abstinence (only do manual sex), but later my friend said "why dont you have sex instead with a condom? It will avoid the risk of sperm spilled everywhere"

It just make me think if I better use condoms than practicing manual sex

Posts: 69 | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for clarifying.

Again, there is no risk of pregnancy through manual sex.

There is always some risk of pregnancy with intercourse, even when condoms or other birth control is used. This is because condoms can break or accidentally slip off (though if they're used properly, the risk of this is low) and if that happens there is a pregnancy risk. Again, there just isn't going to be any sort of strong likelihood of pregnancy with manual sex.

So, it's all about whether you're comfortable with the level of risk there still is with condoms.

Have you and your girlfriend talked about what level of risk, if any, you're both comfortable with?

Here is some more information about condoms to help you make an informed choice:

Condoms

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

Thanks for the explanation Robin

Yes, we have talked and we agrees to practice only manual sex.

I want to ask one more question if you dont mind, was there ever been a case that a couple get pregnant because of sperm that spilled to the vagina because of manual sex in this message boards history?

Thanks before

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. No one has ever reported that, not in my running the boards for the thirteen years we have had them.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

No, I have never heard of someone getting pregnant through manual sex, either through this message board or from anywhere else. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

Thanks Heather and Robin, I am sure any pregnancy scared person from outercourse will be relieved to hear that [Smile]

Oh yeah sorry I am bit of confused with definition, so when we say abstinence, do that means we abstain from sexual intercourse or we abstain from any sexual activity like outercourse?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is not a term we tend to use here because it is so vague.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

I am sorry this is maybe a dumb question but, if there was such a tiny amount of semen that you couldn't feel it on your hand then touch a vagina. Does it is considered fluid sharing or not?
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gilang, we need you to focus on the facts we've been giving you, rather than on "what ifs." As Heather said, you cannot get pregnant from manual sex.
Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

Thanks for the reply Sam

No this isn't about pregnancy scare, I just wanted to know the answer.

gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

it is just ambiguous for me and I need clarification
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi gilang,

Generally, we wouldn't consider what you described as fluid sharing. The only instance in which it would be close is if someone ejaculates on their hand and then immediately inserts it into the vagina or rubs it on the vulva. However, the semen is likely going to be noticeable.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

Thanks for the explanation Sam [Smile]

So based on what I learned here, sperm needs quite a lot of semen to be able to function, so if there was such a tiny amount that you couldn't even see it on your hand, there wasn't enough for the sperm to do its job

Is it correct?

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

You're welcome.

And yes, that's correct.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.