Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » condom failure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: condom failure
gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gilang5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always use condom in a year of my relationship without worry. Until lately I just found out there are so many story in the internet about condom failure. It clearly makes us paranoid now. It doesn't sound like they are telling the lies. What should we do now? my gf cannot take the pill, so condoms are our only option. We want to wait another 3 years until we are married.
Posts: 69 | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gilang5,

As we discussed in a previous conversation, a person will know that a condom has failed if they know what to look for.

Do you feel like you know how to use condoms correctly?

Here is an article to read through to check that out:
Condom Basics: A User's Manual

In terms of what you and your girlfriend should do, you have a couple of options. The pill and condoms aren't the only forms of contraception available. Is your girlfriend able to speak with her healthcare provider about other options that would work better for her than the pill?

You also have the option of not engaging in sexual activity that can lead to pregnancy until you're both ready for a possible pregnancy. It's always okay to stop a sexual activity, even if you've already been engaging in it.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is true that condoms can fail sometimes. However, if a condom fails, it is usually because it wasn't stored or used correctly. If a condom is stored and used correctly, there's only a very small chance of failure. You can find out more about condoms here: Condoms and how to use them here: Condom Basics: A User's Manual

There are lots of different methods of contraception, so if your girlfriend can't take the pill, it's very likely that there is another method she can use if she wants to. We have lots of information about different contraception methods here: Birth Control Bingo!

If it's very important to someone that they don't become pregnant, we recommend using two methods of contraception. With two methods correctly used, the chance of pregnancy is very, very small. If someone still feels uncomfortable with a very very small risk, we would suggest not taking the risk at all and not having the kinds of sex that can cause pregnancy.

How about you and your girlfriend read about other possible methods of contraception and see if they are accessible to you and if you want to use them, and then decide if you feel comfortable or not with a very tiny risk of pregnancy?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1443 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gilang5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information about condom basics.

This month we had intercourse with condom on 8th November (I am sure I do it correctly; we saw the semen still on the tip of condom), her first day of last period was 21st October. Estimated next period is today or tomorrow. But she dont have any feeling that the period will come soon. Should I worry?

Posts: 69 | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gilang5,

Since your girlfriend's period isn't even late yet, it doesn't sound like there's anything to worry about at this point.

It's worth worrying when something happens to worry about, not before. [Smile]

The way someone feels before her period isn't always going to be the same, just as their period might not always come on the same day.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gilang5
Activist
Member # 108484

Maybe it is a bit late to tell, but my girlfriend had her period on 17th November

I can also tell that condoms are really work, but after we talked about this we will be practicing abstinence from now on, hope it will be the best for us

Thanks for all the support Scarleteen, really appreciate it [Smile]

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're welcome.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1443 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.