Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Adding one or two days to pill cycle?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adding one or two days to pill cycle?
ParaPetunia
Neophyte
Member # 95078

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ParaPetunia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya!
So, I'm on the combined pill, and my withdrawal bleed is due next Saturday, and my boyfriend's supposed to be coming up.
I was just wondering whether it would be safe (for my contraceptive protection and for my body in general) to take two extra pills at the end of my cycle (I have a spare strip) in order to postpone my withdrawal bleed for a couple of days.
Thanks!

Posts: 32 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No: that is not how the pill works. You could potentially try and skip a withdrawal bleed by taking two packs back to back, but then you would have to take the entire strip, not just a few pills. But before you do that, you'll want to call your gynecologist to double-check that this is okay for you to do. You'll also want to be aware that this does not always work, so you may end up getting your bleed anyway, or you may have spotting throughout the cycle.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParaPetunia
Neophyte
Member # 95078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaPetunia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just confused, cus in the instructions for my pill, it says that if you lose a pill, it is okay to just take one fewer pills that cycle. Why is it not the same for taking more?
Posts: 32 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I'm not sure why your instructions would say it's ok to take fewer pills, either; you really want to take the exact number of pills in each pack for maximum effectiveness.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParaPetunia
Neophyte
Member # 95078

Quoting from the Microgynon 30 instructions: "If you lose a pill, take the last pill of the strip in place of the lost pill. Then take all the other pills on their proper days. Your cycle will be one day shorter than normal, but your contraceptive protection won't be affected. After your seven pill-free days you will have a new starting day, one day earlier than before."
Should I not trust the instructions in the pack? I'm a bit scared now because if I can't trust the instructions provided by the actual medical company, I really don't know what I CAN trust.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having one missed pill in a cycle should not affect your protection significantly, but it does mean that you are not a perfect user for that month. Perfect use means taking the pill exactly as directed, every day. So, missing a pill will take you into the typical use rate, which is still around 92%.

However, the goal is to take the pill as directed, and missing more than one pill, or tacking on additional days, is not how the pill is intended to be used.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParaPetunia
Neophyte
Member # 95078

So, if I'd already done this on one occasion but had backed up with condoms and used them properly and nothing broke and I didn't actually MISS any pills, I just added one day on…would you say that poses a pregnancy risk?
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there ParaPetunia! [Smile]

If you used condoms (and did it properly as you mentioned) then you have there one birth control method used perfectly and one that was not in perfect use (the pill). So, the chances for pregnancy are very low, as condoms by themselves, used correctly, are highly effective. [Smile]

One thing to keep in mind is that if your leaflet or your doctor didn´t say you can/should take extra pills, then there is something you shouldn't do, because that's not the way Birth Control Pills are supposed to be taken, and it may affect their effectiveness.

[ 11-27-2013, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Edith_* ]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.