Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Pregnancy risk? Worried! How soon can I test?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy risk? Worried! How soon can I test?
IsidoleLandower
Neophyte
Member # 95422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IsidoleLandower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had sex with a friend of mine 3 days ago, and at one point the condom fell off. He didn't seem to know exactly when it happened, but said he wasn't inside me at the time or after.
I'm just a little concerned, both for any diseases and for pregnancy. He has a history of sleeping around.

I had only restarted my birth control and been on it for about a week and a half (lo loestrin fe) when we had sex, so I wasn't sure if it was in full effect. I had just finished my period a few days prior.
We went at it for quite awhile, and I wasn't aware of exactly when the condom fell off or what happened.

And I'm slightly concerned. I never have an appetite, and just in the past two days I've felt like constantly eating. And cigarettes (which I used to love) now taste horrible. Could this be any connection? Is it possible to show signs of pregnancy this early?

I would like to test myself, but all I've seen are the "up to 6 days before missed period" tests. Which, I don't have a period when I'm on the pill, and my period has always been irregular.

Are there any other options to test sooner? Besides going to an actual doctor and getting a blood test. Should I consider "Plan B" or is it too late for that?

Thank you!

Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi IsidoleLandower! [Smile]

Saddly, there is no way to *really* know when your Birth Control takes full effect. That depends of when in your cycle you started it. Since you had a condom failure, by all means taking Plan B is something you can do, if you want it. Plan B can be taken up to 120 hours after the risk.

Per your question about testing for pregnancy, that's something you can do 14 days after your last sexual contact. Here's more information about that.

Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

I can totally understand being anxious about a situation like this, but I want to let you know that pregnancy is not something that happens instantly. It takes around a week to go from sex to actual conception. And any pregnancy symptoms, doesn't happen three days after having sex. [Smile]

I hope you find this information helpful. If you have any more questions, we'd be happy to help. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 372 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.