Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » IUD strings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IUD strings
Kas
Neophyte
Member # 103107

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all!

I just recently got the liberte 380 IUD (it's one of the copper ones) and I've had nothing but good experiences with it. My GP told me to wait on condom-less sex for a month, so the cervical mucus could fill in from when it was inserted, and then come back for a checkup after my first period.

So, that came and went, she checked, said the IUD was placed right, and the strings were where they should be. She also told me to check the strings before and after sex, just to make sure it hadn't expelled. Now, I'm trying to find it but I really cannot find the strings.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my internal architecture is changing--I've been working out a lot, and the last few months it's been harder and harder to remove my menstrual cup because my vaginal canal feels longer and the cup itself seems to be further and further back. That, or my fingers are getting shorter. [Razz] Because of my extensive use of the menstrual cup, I do know the position of my cervix changes during the month, and based on arousal, etc...but even squatting, bearing down, and being totally unaroused, I still don't think I can touch my cervix with my fingers.

If anyone has any suggestions for how to reach my strings, or otherwise check placement, I would be super grateful! Positions/tips/etc...Would rather not have to go into the doctor every time. I'm new to non-barrier method sex and so it makes me a bit paranoid.

Thanks so much in advance!
-Kas

Posts: 3 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Cas,

Working out isn't likely to make your vaginal canal longer. [Smile] It's possible that your pelvic muscles are stronger, and gripping your menstrual cups more, though I couldn't say for sure.

You've described doing all the things I'd suggest for finding those IUD strings, so I'll let other people more familiar with IUD use weigh in here.

Were you able to feel the strings before?

Can I just check in that you're up-to-date on your STI testing? IUDs, unlike condoms, only provide protection against becoming pregnant, and I just wanted to check in about STIs since you're no longer using condoms.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kas
Neophyte
Member # 103107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robin,

Thanks for your response. No, I wasn't able to feel the strings before she checked for them. I know the vaginal canal can't really get longer, but my GP did mention that she thought that losing weight can alter how that area feels, because there's less tissue around it. Especially with strengthening of pelvic floor muscles (as you suggest) and with the subtraction of visceral/internal fat. I apologize for the inaccuracy.

Yep, up to date on STI testing (they make you test before inserting), with a monagamous (also tested) partner. Thanks for checking though.

-Kas

Posts: 3 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.