Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Missing a month of birth control.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missing a month of birth control.
Morgmorg
Neophyte
Member # 108859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgmorg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have stopped birth control for a month, due to being so busy and can't keep taking 2-3 in one day. So I started another pack back up, but took it TOO soon. I took them on a Thursday of my period. Which was October 31, and took two thinking I missed Sunday and I have to take Mondays as well. I have no clue where my head was that day, but I took the pills for a couple of days. Some days missing and taking the next day. I had unprotected sex Sunday and Monday November 3 and 4. He did come inside me. I took my pill the next days as well. Till Saturday, november 9, came around. I had reddish brown mucus discharge. It didn't make sence because I just had my period and I was fine all week. Now I am still bleeding and have slight pain in my lower abdominal. Should I be concerned?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Morgmorg and welcome to Scarleteen,

Just so as I understand, you stopped taking your pill for a month, then recently started back up again, but haven't been taking it consistently every day.

If I'm understanding this correctly, this means that there is a high likelihood that the pill is not at its full effectiveness for you.

If it's been less than 120 hours (five days) since you engaged in intercourse, and you do not wish to become pregnant, you can take emergency contraception to reduce the risk here.

If it's been more than 120 hours since sexual activity, or you cannot get access to emergency contraception, you'll want to take a pregnancy test. You'll need to wait for that though, as pregnancy tests aren't going to give you an accurate result until 14 or more days after the sexual activity.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgmorg
Neophyte
Member # 108859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgmorg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So are my chances high for pregnancy?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We can't really know how well-protected you were from the pills, since you weren't taking them according to directions. There was a higher risk of pregnancy from unprotected intercourse than there would be if you were using your pills as directed, but we can't know just how high that risk was.

Your best bet is to either back up with condoms or avoid intercourse until you've finished one month of proper pill use or found another birth control option that works better for you. We can certainly talk about different options, if you're interested in finding something else.

And as Robin said above, you can take a pregnancy test once enough time has passed since you last had intercourse.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
501French
Neophyte
Member # 108794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 501French     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of in a similar situation. I had sex the day before I was to go get my depo shot (Oct 28) but it turned out that I couldn't get the shot due to low bone density. My boyfriend did cum in me. The doctors switched me to pills and suggested that I start the next Sunday (Nov 3) but haven't gotten them yet. Since then I have been bleeding unlike the light spotting I got while on the shot. I've been having rib&lower back pains and constant bathroom breaks that I try to skip. Could it be possible Iam pregnant or have a greater chance of getting pregnant due to my circustances?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly, if you engaged in intercourse without using any method of contraception, then there will be pregnancy risks. And with not getting your shot as scheduled, that would mean that you were not using any method at that time.

So, before you start those pills, I would suggest a pregnancy test just to cover your bases. And obviously, if you do not want to take big risks of pregnancy, you will want to make sure than any intercourse you have moving forward is only when you are using a method, be that the pills, condoms, or some other reliable option.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
501French
Neophyte
Member # 108794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 501French     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of sites that I've looked says its take a while after the shot to actually ovulate and become pregnant. So it's really conusing.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lexyy! [Smile]

Truth is, we just CAN'T know when your shot started or stopped protecting you. As Heather mentioned, the easiest way to clear your doubts is taking a pregnancy test (you can take a pregnancy test after 14 days of the sexual activity, so you are in the time frame). That way you can be sure before getting started with your new Birth Control method. Also, Heather talked about condoms, and of course using them is always up to you and your partner, but it's also a good thing to do in the meanwhile your BC takes control again. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
501French
Neophyte
Member # 108794

Okay. Thanks
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.