Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth Control Questions..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Questions..
Samgood22
Neophyte
Member # 108830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samgood22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I will start by stating that I am very new to birth control, and a bit confused by it. Today is my fourth day and I have a few questions.

1) I just started taking Generess FE (has anyone else taken this?) and I've been experiencing nausea. I was wondering how long it will take for it to go away? I've heard two months, but that seems drastic to me.
Also, how long should I take it before I know if it's the right birth control for me or not?

2) When I went to my gynecologist I told her that my periods are extremely heavy and so are my ovulation days. I asked her if this makes me any more fertile and she said no, that I just "drew the short stick." Is this true?

3) I am 18 years old, and I've had a steady boyfriend for the past two years. He is very supportive of me and the fact that I've been waiting to have sex (mostly because I haven't felt ready). I have always had a seemingly larger fear than most of my friends about pregnancy, and he knows this as well. I'm wondering if there are ways that I can have sex but completely be assured that I am okay?
For my first time I am planning on taking the pill and using a condom. I was also considering withdrawal, but I heard somewhere that it can be bad because the condom can come off. Is this a good method used with a condom/the pill? I was wondering about those possibilities, and also if there is anything I can do to keep my mind at rest?
I feel like I am emotionally ready, but scared of the possibilities/responsibilities that come with sex.

4) My last question is about the birth control. I've always questioned putting such a foreign thing in my body that changes its rhythm. I was wondering if it is unhealthy for you at all, or if I needn't worry about it.

Thanks so much!

[ 11-06-2013, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Samgood22 ]

--------------------
~

Posts: 2 | From: Chicago,IL | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Samgood,

For your first question, I would talk to your healthcare provider. They can give you a sense of how long the nausea is likely to last, and how long to wait before reevaluating whether this BC pill is right for you. On your second question, I would trust your OBGYN. As far as I am aware, there isn't a correlation between heavy flow and greater fertility.

As to wanting to have the safest sex possible, using a back-up method (like you are planning on) is a good idea. You can find more info on using back-up methods here:The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

On your last question, I suggest taking a look at this article: Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill). It should give a sense of how the pill interacts with your system.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.