Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Yaz and the Sunday rule

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yaz and the Sunday rule
saphira2013
Neophyte
Member # 104162

Icon 5 posted      Profile for saphira2013     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there! I was wondering if you could help me clarify something regarding the pill and the Sunday rule. I've been off Yaz since June or July, however due to the appearance of a new Significant Other I decided it's a good idea to start again as we're planning to be sexually active. Now, I started my period late last Friday night but took my first Yaz pill this Wednesday afternoon as I was out of town before that. I know it's not a Sunday start but to be quite honest I'm pretty sure my body doesn't know the difference between Monday, Thursday or Sunday. There was a gap of 6 days (more like 5.5 if I want to be picky about the time) but here I am thinking that wouldn't it be the same if I'd started my period on a Monday and had to wait till that Sunday before starting the first pill (that's 7 days actually)? The effectiveness can't change, right? Obviously I realise that it's important to use a back up contraceptive for the first week (preferably the whole month, no?) of the pill, but I'd just be really glad if you would help explain what difference in effectiveness have I made by starting on a Wednesday rather than on a Sunday.

Thank you [Smile]

Posts: 39 | From: Malta | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Saphira2013,

You're right. Your body doesn't know the difference in the days of the week. Depending on when in your cycle you start the pill, it might be effective sooner rather than later.

Since there's no way to tell when it becomes effective, it's sound to use a second method of birth control, or abstain from sexual activity that can lead to pregnancy, for the entire first cycle of pills.

Here's an article to fill you in on the deal with diferent start times, as well as other information you might find useful.

Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saphira2013
Neophyte
Member # 104162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saphira2013     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very very much!
Posts: 39 | From: Malta | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're most welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.