Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Implanon and yeast infections

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Implanon and yeast infections
kafe1
Neophyte
Member # 64207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kafe1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my Implanon inserted in March this year, and apart from some light bleeding that went on for a couple of weeks on two separate occasions, my side effects have been minimal and I've been very happy with my experience.

A short while after the initial insertion, I got a yeast infection that cleared up after a 3-day treatment. Not long after that another one came up and again, was cleared up with a treatment. After a third or fourth one I visited my GP who swabbed and tested, and advised it was just a yeast infection and suggested I go and get another treatment. This cleared it up, but you guessed it... another one popped up after a week or so. [Roll Eyes]

This is frustrating since I'm in a long-term relationship which is the main reason I got the Implanon put in, but since its insertion I'm having trouble finding time to even engage in sex with my SO since it feels like I'm constantly battling bleeding or a yeast infection! I love my Implanon - most hormonal BC methods aren't really an option for me as I get aural migraines occasionally and have a heart problem, so I was glad to have found one so simple and effective.

Has anyone else experienced a problem with ongoing yeast infections with Implanon? I thought the side effects might wear off after a while, but it's now been almost 7 months since I had it put in and the yeast infections are still occurring. I can't afford to keep buying these OTC treatments!

I am planning to visit my doctor again as soon as I can to discuss this, but I figured I'd see if anyone here has experienced a similar problem and has any sort of recommendations.

Posts: 15 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To my knowledge, there isn't an association between the implant and yeast infections, and really, there shouldn't be, given it's progestin-only and given that yeast infections, on the whole start intestinally, not genitally.

I'd check in with your doctor again and ask them to work with you to really look into this, evaluating things like diet and possible food allergies (or other allergies), sensitivities to anything you use with or near your vulva, other possible health issues that can incline a person towards yeast infections, and all the other issues they should be looking into with chronic yeast.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68053 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kafe1
Neophyte
Member # 64207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kafe1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the quick response, Heather! [Smile]

Huh - that's quite strange! When I saw the GP (a different doc to my normal one, as I felt more comfortable seeing a female for this kind of thing) she said it was probably from the hormones in the Implanon, and admittedly I'm not super clued up on the exact make up of the Implanon, so I took her word for it.

I haven't made any diet or lifestyle changes since this began, and as it only began around the time of the Implanon's insertion, I figured that was the cause. I take precautions with vaginal health to avoid infections (avoiding wiping from front to back and only cleaning with water), so I'll definitely pop back into my GP for a little more investigation.

Again, thanks!

Posts: 15 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a listing of the side effects that are associated with the implant, just so you have that information: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-control-implant-implanon-4243.htm

Yeast infections aren't caused by hormones, though they can have an impact when someone is already inclined to yeast, so I'm not sure why your doctor would have said that, especially since it's estrogen that is associated in that way, and the implant doesn't contain any estrogen. Here's a good page to go over some of the common causes or players in yeast infections for you: https://www.msu.edu/~eisthen/yeast/causes.html

You might also check in about the treatment you keep being given, as it's possible -- especially if it's the same one every time -- it's just not one that is working for you, and may even be inclining you to keep infections around, which can happen with the wrong treatment.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68053 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

FYI, I just looked up a little bit of data on the association of those with yeast infections who use the implant -- just to make sure there wasn't any new data or information I wasn't aware of, as that can happen, obviously -- and the figure I saw a few times was 1 in 7, which is actually fewer people than those who get them in general. That figure is usually anywhere from one in every two or three in every four women.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Also, has your partner been checked for yeast of fungal infections? I ask, because if you're having intercourse without condoms, and he has one, that can incline you to them, too. And unlike people with vaginas, it'll sometimes be a lot less obvious to someone with a penis when they have one, because they often won't have the discharges that go with vulval/vaginal yeast infections, nor the kind of itching that can happen.

(I tend to go into super-detective mode with these things, so by all means, cut me off if that's not welcome!)

[ 10-11-2013, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

kafe1
Neophyte
Member # 64207

No, not a problem, thanks for wanting to help out further! [Smile]

Honestly we haven't really been having intercourse since these popped up, since it feels like I'm constantly battling with one and sex wouldn't be particularly comfortable. Before though, we always used condoms and will continue to once this has been sorted out. [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

The same true for all other kinds of sex as well?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

kafe1
Neophyte
Member # 64207

Yes, that's right.

[ 10-11-2013, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: kafe1 ]

Heather
Member # 3

So, okay. My personal suggestion would be to ask your doctor to evaluate diet with you, possible allergies, and also take a look at a different treatment approach.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

kafe1
Neophyte
Member # 64207

Thanks Heather, I'll be sure to do that. [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.