Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Choosing and acquiring BC?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Choosing and acquiring BC?
runningcircles
Neophyte
Member # 108197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for runningcircles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently I've been investigating BC more since I have a serious boyfriend, but when I think I'm on the track to something great I hit some sort of road block. I thought today maybe I should use the patch but then the risk of it falling off scares me because I am very active with horses and such and also I don't know that it would be convenient to hide a patch all the time. I'm terrified of needles so don't want to get the shot but I have heard so many times about the pill failing that I'm kind of paranoid. I don't really have a very regular schedule but I could set an alarm on my phone to remember the pill. But then I don't know exactly where to go to get any birth control. The closest Planned Parenthood center is almost an hour away.
Posts: 5 | From: Washington | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless you put the patch somewhere on your body that got a lot of action while riding, it falling off would be unlikely.

But there's no method of BC that doesn't have some kind of potential pitfall. Choosing one (or more) is just a matter of what we find is likely to tick all our boxes the best.

You say you're in Washington: is that Washington state? If so, I may be able to find you somewhere to go -- and even your regular doctor is usually an option, if you have one -- that you can reach.

We can also talk about the methods that right now, sound best to you if you like.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67115 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
runningcircles
Neophyte
Member # 108197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for runningcircles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the delay, I do live in Washington state, about an hour from Seattle.

Honestly, I haven't had a regular check-up for about 6 years and I was seen by a paediatrician then. I found that all they did anymore was tell me what preventative vaccines to get and I would just rather take my chances. So I really don't have a clue how to navigate medical resources though I know about insurance and all and that I'm still covered another year by my dad's.

Posts: 5 | From: Washington | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No worries.

So, first step: is this something where you'd be comfortable using your family insurance, if it covers contraception, or where you'd rather not?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67115 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
runningcircles
Neophyte
Member # 108197

I am comfortable using my family insurance, I've talked to my mom a little bit about it but she just apparently isn't comfortable really discussing anything. I don't feel the need to hide this from them but I wasn't sure where to turn.
Heather
Member # 3

Okay.

So then you'll want to find out how this works with your family insurance, if you can go see an OB/GYN directly, if this is something you need a referral for from your general physician (or any of the GPs covered by your insurance), or if contraception is something the GPs do within your system.

You can likely just call a number on any of your insurance information to get that kind of information.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.