Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » pregnancy tests

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnancy tests
Miss S
Activist
Member # 107855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I trust a cheap pregnancy test? I just did one to ease my mind after my withdrawal bleed from the pill came... its been 23 days since I had sex and I tested with a 3$ pregnancy test and came negative..his name was early pregnancy test midstream.. and its only 3$ so are these tests accurate?

--------------------
Miss S

Posts: 66 | From: somewhere | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much a test costs doesn't influence it's efficacy.

But when tests are super-cheap, I'd just always make sure that's not because they are past their expiry date (which is listed on the box). If not, it's all good.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss S
Activist
Member # 107855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No his expiry date was until 2014 .. but what im asking is that this test does not have a brand name its only a cheap 3 $ one.. and one more question what is a midstream pregnancy test?

--------------------
Miss S

Posts: 66 | From: somewhere | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It truly doesn't matter. If it was within the expiry date, you're good.

"Midstream" in this context likely refers to the stream of urine used for the test.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss S
Activist
Member # 107855

Okay thanks just one more question would a test be accurate if a woman was 6 days late? I wasnt late but I started the new pack on monday and tested yesterday..I dunno I know im not pregnant but I cant seem being able to get over this paranoia every month its like I know jm not and I got my withdrawal bleed and it wasnt weird just the normsl one I get on the pills snd s nrgative pregnancy test..and now im thinkin what if the test wasnt accurate or so ..

--------------------
Miss S

Heather
Member # 3

Well, you weren't late, so I'm not sure I understand why you were asking.

But pregnancy test instructions will tell you how soon a test can be accurate, and all of them will say as soon as a missed or late period. And if someone's period is six days late because they are pregnant, then yes, most people will have developed the level of the hormone, unique to pregnancy, a test tests for by then.
Really, paranoia -- irrational fear -- doesn't tend to answer to rational thought or facts. So, if and when someone has a pattern of irrational fear, what they're usually going to need to do to get over that is figure out what's at the bottom of that fear, then change behaviours, rather than thoughts, if you can follow that.

Looking at your post history, this clearly is a pattern for you, so what do you think you need here? Stepping away from sex, if that's what's triggering these fears, for instance, often helps people at least get started in getting some time and space away from new things to worry about while they can get the why of their fears sorted out. By all means, if you keep doing the things that trigger these fears, that's generally not going to help you out any.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Miss S
Activist
Member # 107855

Its not about sex really I love having sex with my boyfriend but its just that sex is a taboo subject in our culture its a no no subject before marriage. .and getting pregnant by mistake would be a huuuuuuge deal for me.. so since pregnsncy is never welcome in the meantime im always avoiding it at my best..

--------------------
Miss S

Heather
Member # 3

You know, we can enjoy sex but have it not be the right thing for us at a given time or in a given setting.

I hear you saying that you think the cultural lack of acceptance for the sex you're having is what you think has you so worried all of the time. That's certainly not surprising: guilt.l shame or fear from cultures or religions around sex certainly do create irrational fears for people sometimes.

I also hear you saying that a pregnancy would be something you couldn't handle.

So, again, what do you think about taking sex, or some kinds of sex, off the table for now while you figure out how to resolve those things?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Miss S
Activist
Member # 107855

Or ill just use condoms with the pills from now on..I just hate running away from my fears I feel the need to fight them.. to clear them not run away from there..im not gonna stop making love to my man just because of my mind ..but im gonna face my fears..I just wish I never went to wiki or yahoo answers tgey brought this to me

--------------------
Miss S

Heather
Member # 3

My guess is, if there isn't cultural acceptance for you anywhere you look per engaging in sex you want, the foundation for this was laid before you went on the internet. [Smile]

Obviously, you know yourself best per what works for you when it comes with these choices. Personally, it doesn't look to me like it's working out for you very well to keep having the kind of sex right now that has you chronically worried. It seems to me you might want to rethink that approach.

But these are your choices, and you get to make them. You also know yourself far better than I do.

Just do know that when it comes to your posts here, we're at the point per our user agreement where we will need to stop talking you through any pregnancy scares now, okay? One of the deals when we make choices for ourselves is that when we know what they involve -- like, in this case, persistent fear -- we do have to own those results, and accept that's something we're choosing and then learn to deal with it if we're not going to try doing things differently.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

One extra piece of advice, btw?

It really might help to spend some time thinking about what your own values are. In other words, sometimes we will share our cultural values, other times we won't. If we don't, sometimes clarifying our own values and ideas, what's important to us, and getting stronger in it can kind of soften the blows we feel from larger cultural nonacceptance or disapproval.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

jason03051
Neophyte
Member # 108529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jason03051     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello guys, my name is Jason. I having protected sex with my girlfriend last month, we checked all those condom after sex , all condoms no leaks and sperm store inside.But now her period has late for 8 days, 2 pregnancy test shown negative. Her last period begin on 17th of August, and her period should be begin on 16-18 th of September. But her period not yet start. What's going on actually? Did she have the possible of getting pregnant?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

We can't possibly know what's up with her period, especially without knowing how regular her cycles normally are, and for how long they have been so.

But clearly, pregnancy isn't the reason her period is late, if it is. here's a link for some information on the many reasons periods can be late or skipped: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

ForeverDorks
Neophyte
Member # 108603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ForeverDorks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miss S,
I think before you buy a pregnancy test, you should see the reviews the company has, and then make a decision whether or not to buy their product. Instead of buying just one pregnancy test, you should buy 3-5 pregnancy tests. The reason I say this is because if you want to be sure of the result that comes out, you need to take multiple tests. If you take one test, it could be a false negative or a false positive, and I don't think you want that.

Posts: 4 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey ForeverDorks,

I think we can assume that false results on pregnancy tests are extremely rare. It is pretty reasonable to trust just one test. They simply detect the hormone associated with pregnancy and there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong if the instructions are followed.

A 2nd test is a good idea if someone is nervous and wants to do double-check. But 3-5 seems very excessive to me and far from something a person necessarily 'should' do.

It's a useful suggestion if someone is feeling doubtful, as there's no reason why they can't take more tests, but really it's very much up to what will make a person feel better, rather than being significantly more accurate.

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to what Jacob says here, i'd also add that really, if pregnancy tests were as unreliable as to need to take them several times, we'd be hearing about it in the media and those tests wouldn't be on the market anymore. [Smile]

So, so long as test instructions are vollowed, one test, plus another a few days later, if needed, to back up the results of the first, is really all that is necessary.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.