Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Implanon and pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Implanon and pregnancy
Sladie92
Neophyte
Member # 108625

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Sladie92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heres the thing about 4 days ago, I and my boyfriend were having sex, it was my first time wasnt all that great mind you, any way the condom broke and he came inside me. Ive been on the implanon for over a year and he claims that he in infertile.

My first question is could there be any chance of my getting pregnant?

if so, when is the earliest time I can take a pregnancy test?

p.s.
Ive read all the infromation about implanon, just kinda worried

Posts: 4 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sladie92 and welcome to Scarleteen,

If you've read the information on Implanon, then you know that it's more than 99% effective at preventing pregnancy. So, your chances of becoming pregnant are very low.

You can take a pregnancy test 14 or more days after this sexual activity occurred and expect an accurate result. Here's some more information on pregnancy testing:

Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

How does your boyfriend know he is infertile? Unless he has undergone extensive testing from a healthcare provider, or has had a vasectomy, he really can't know what his fertility level is.

While your chances of pregnancy are low, Implanon does not protect against STI transmission. Are both you and your boyfriend current with your STI (sexually transmitted infection) testing?

[ 10-09-2013, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sladie92
Neophyte
Member # 108625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sladie92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Robin

Thanks for welcoming me to scarleteen and for the reply.

Yes, I did realise that its 99 % effective, it’s just I’m the kind of person that if something could go wrong, chances are that it will.

My boyfriend had a sporting accident about 3 years ago where he ruptured I can’t remember if it was a vessel or a vein in his testicles; he has been to 4 different doctors who have told him that he needs to have an operation in order to get it fixed.

Posts: 4 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, presuming that these doctors have tested his semen and found it not to contain sperm, you can know that you likely weren't exposed to sperm at all.

It certainly sounds like not getting pregnant is really important to you. It sounds mighty unlikely that you did, but you certainly can take a pregnancy test in 2 or so weeks just to make sure. [Smile]

As I mentioned above, the condom breaking does pose STI transmission risks. Have you and your boyfriend been tested for STIs recently?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sladie92
Neophyte
Member # 108625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sladie92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha yeah, I'm im not young but I'm not old enough either to have a kid plus there's a lot I want to do before I plan on having kids. Yes were both up to date with STI testing.

Thanks again for your help and for putting my mind at ease.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're very welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.