Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » EC side effects

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EC side effects
anicake
Neophyte
Member # 107698

Icon 5 posted      Profile for anicake         Edit/Delete Post 
So I took Levonelle One step a little over a week ago now, and I've started having a really weird bleed, all clumpy and dark- like a period, complete with cramps. Is this unusual for this type of pill? I'm due my period in 2 weeks or so exactly so would this class as a period now or something else entirely? Slightly worried, never taken the pill before [Frown]
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Anicake,

Many people who take emergency contraception experience changes to their menstrual cycle. These changes can include spotting between periods, periods that come earlier or later than usual, and periods that are skipped altogether. These changes can often last for 2 or 3 months.

Here is some more information about emergency contraception:

Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill)

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anicake
Neophyte
Member # 107698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anicake         Edit/Delete Post 
So this ''period'' lasted the same time my usual period would but I'm not sure if this would count as one or not? The bleeding was heavy at first and Red, it didnt seem like implantation bleeding. I've missed what would be my usual time to start?
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean you expected to start your period in the last day or two, but did not start it, though you DID, in this same week, have the bleeding you're describing above?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anicake
Neophyte
Member # 107698

Yeah, sorry if it seems confusing!
I've been reading (I know I should t refer to doctor google really!) that the bleeding I had 7 days after taking levonelle could just be a withdrawal bleed from hormones?

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given the timing, I'd have been surprised if you got your period as expected.

Plan B can bring on periods earlier than expected, later than expected, cause a user to skip a period entirely, or cause spotting or bleeding all on its own.

It's ultimately impossible to know what's what when and if it happens so close to an expected period like this, though.

Generally, mostly because Plan B is not 100% effective, we advise testing for pregnancy after using it if and when a period doesn't arrive when expected, or when you're not sure. If you don't want to do that, that's fine, but if why you're asking this is an "Am I pregnant or not?" ultimately, only a test can really give you that answer anyway.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anicake
Neophyte
Member # 107698

Thank you Heather!
Heather
Member # 3

You got it! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

anicake
Neophyte
Member # 107698

Hi there again guys, sorry to keep posting like this!
So there's still no sign of my period, and in fact the last bleeding I did have was the Levonelle induced bleeding which lasted and felt like my period! I took a pregnancy test yesterday just for some peace of mind (21days after the sex) and its come up negative, how sure can I be that this is correct? I know my risk of pregnancy was pretty low- what with the condom and Levonelle but obviously me worrying isn't helping I guess.
I was also wondering that can a lack of discharge mean anything? Nothing is off colour or smells any different but there has been next to nothing- a dry spell to say the least.

Thank you for all your help and support, all amazing [Smile] X

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi There,

If you followed the instructions on the test package, you can expect that the result was accurate. [Smile]

A lack of discharge doesn't mean anything except a lack of discharge. Taking E.C. can shift your hormones, affecting your menstrual cycle. This includes affecting things like vaginal discharge as that's related to hormones.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anicake
Neophyte
Member # 107698

Thank you Robin,
Did another test, still a negative but still no period!
I have absolutely no clue what's going on, and I'm really not sure where else to turn to and get some answers - I've not told anyone about this incident and I don't think I can. Could just be a build up of stress but I have no idea.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Heather pointed out earlier, Plan B can mess with your menstrual cycle and cause late or missed periods. Unfortunately, how this affects someone is very individual, so we can't tell you when you'll get your next period. But we can tell you that having a late or missed period is a very common side-effect of Plan B, and so this is nothing to worry about.

Since you've taken a pregnancy test and had a negative result, I suggest you just try to relax and wait for your period.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.