Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » STI, Yeast Infection, Or??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STI, Yeast Infection, Or??
rayraynynanny33
Neophyte
Member # 108297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rayraynynanny33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you help me figure out my symptoms? I went to the doctor's this morning to get tested, but I'm just anxious and need someone else's input.

I had unprotected sex on Wednesday (9/4), Thursday (9/12), protected sex Friday (9/13) using condoms, felt extreme vaginal itching on Saturday and Sunday, then started my period on Monday. I was on my period for five days and the itching slowly subsided throughout the week. I've had some discharge that's almost lint-like, but I haven't noticed any odors. It's been kind of hard to tell if discharge has had an odor and or abnormal texture since I've been on my period.

What do you think this could be?

Thank you for your input! It helps just to talk it out with someone.

Posts: 9 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rayraynynanny33,

It's really not possible, or sound, for us to guess what this could be. Did your doctor give you an idea of how long it would take to get test results?

If it helps ease your worries, it's uncommon for STI symptoms to show up this quickly. This doesn't mean it's not an STI (particularly since you did engage in sexual activities that put you at high risk for picking up an STI) only that it's less likely to be an STI than to be some other sort of irritation or infection.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rayraynynanny33
Neophyte
Member # 108297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rayraynynanny33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She said it would take about a week. That does help a little, thank you.

I thought it could be a yeast infection, but the doctor said that my pH levels looked normal. Which isn't hard to believe because my symptoms have subsided significantly throughout the week- but that could be me trying to make myself feel better.

Anyways, I've been taking vitamin c & trying to keep the area dry, as best I can having been on my period, and now my symptoms are almost completely gone. Of course I still went to the doctor to find out what's going on, but it's going to be a long week of waiting.Especially since she said my pH levels looked normal...

Posts: 9 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's still sound to have gone to the doctor if you felt like something was wrong. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rayraynynanny33
Neophyte
Member # 108297

Thanks, Robin. Tomorrow will have been a week since I got tested & I haven't heard anything from the doctor. Does this usually imply good or bad news? They told me it could take about a week, but I'm anxious. I thought it only took about three days or so to process these types of results.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

HI There,

If they told you it'd be about a week, then I'd take them at their word. [Smile]

It all depends on the processes the lab uses, how busy the lab is, and how busy your doctor's office is.

Since it has been about a week, you can, if you want, give the office a call to ask if the results are in. The person who answers the phone should be able to look that up for you, though it's unlikely that they'll be able to actually give you the results as it needs to be a medical person who gives those to the patient.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Robin

rayraynynanny33
Neophyte
Member # 108297

This is very helpful. Thanks again, Robin!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.