Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » protected sex (not perfect use) and plan b

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: protected sex (not perfect use) and plan b
saf
Neophyte
Member # 108583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,my girlfriend and I had sex on the 15th of Sept at 1am in the morning. Her period started on the 1st till 3rd of Sept normal heavy flow (before sept we never had sex but only fingering and oral)

Do bear in mind that we did have protected sex with condoms. However,I've used two condoms in the duration of the intercourse as I noticed the first condom to be rather dry. Fearing for any mishap (I didn't have lube around me at that time), I took it off and used another condom. I may have touched my precum or maybe semen while unrolling the first condom. Before I used the second condom, I have dipped my fingers n hands in a glass of water nearby us just to be safe and subsequently wiped my hands not entirely dry with my shirt.

Fearing for any exposure of my fluids,I bought her plan b and she subsequently took them within 12hours. 5 days upon consumtion, she bled for 3 days which I've read to be withdrawal bleeding. However, since her bleeding had occurred, she has been going through pms and breast tenderness. Today, 2nd Oct her pms and breast tenderness subsided but experiencing bloatedness and some cramping. Is she getting her real period? Or is she at risk?

Posts: 7 | From: malaysia | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nixieGurl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nixieGurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi saf,

Welcome to Scarleteen!

She may be getting her period, but either way having taken plan b there is unlikely to be a pregnancy risk here.

Here is a good read about emergency contraception:

Emergency Contraception

Lubrication is always handy to have with you to make condoms more effective and less likely to break, also for the comfort of both of you, but I understand not having it available to you at that time, that happens!

Hope this helps!

Posts: 657 | From: NZ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saf
Neophyte
Member # 108583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank u for the reply! [Big Grin] also,shud her period that started on the 1st till 3rd of Sept be matter of concern? Coz she moved in aug to singapore for a dance performance (she's a dancer) for 2 months. coz before she left we never had sex but only oral and fingering. ITS A STUPID QUESTION but I never seem to be able to get an answer from my guyfriends
Posts: 7 | From: malaysia | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saf
Neophyte
Member # 108583

To add, she usually gets her period for at least 5 to 7 days..
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorter periods can happen, and stress from moving as well as different exercise levels can have an effect. I don't see any cause for concern.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saf
Neophyte
Member # 108583

Thank you very much..
saf
Neophyte
Member # 108583

I have also read that the pills are only effective when taken prior to ovulation and if it were taken after ovulation,it would not have any effect in preventing fertilization and etc. So was my girlfriend likely to be ovulating at that time? If so,would it still pose more risk then the current situation? It has been 17 days since she took the pill..
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no way we can know if she was ovulating, and no way she'd know if she was ovulating unless she's been charting her basal body temperature and cervical mucus every day for several months.

As you read in the article about Emergency Contraception, taking E.C. can alter the menstrual cycle for a few months, so your girlfriend may get her period earlier or later than she expects it.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saf
Neophyte
Member # 108583

Well,could by any chance the 3 days bleeding that occurred 5 days after consuming the pill be treated as period? Coz it was heavy and she told me like her normal period..but usually she has 4 to 6 days of period..
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, taking Plan B alters the menstrual cycle for a few months after it is taken. That can include periods that are longer or shorter than usual, arrive earlier or later than usual, and so on.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saf
Neophyte
Member # 108583

Just a quick update, she took a hpt 19 days after the incident and 3 days after her expected period which came up negative. Despite the fact that her period has yet to come,I can safely presume it worked and period is delayed?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you can trust the results of the test.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.