Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Period suppression on a triphasic pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period suppression on a triphasic pill
Member # 93671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amy_the_artist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on OrthoTriCyclenLo and I am going backpacking next weekend. I live in an area with lots of bears and it's not advisable to head into the backcountry while you're bleeding, so I was wondering about suppressing your period on a triphasic pill, as I will be on my placebo week while I am away. I used to do it fairly frequently when I was taking monophasic pills (Alesse21, Yasmin21), but I've never done it with a triphasic pill. How would I go about it? Will I still be protected if I just start a new pack right away? Is the information on this website correct?

Thanks in advance,

Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Amy,

with regards to the link you posted, it's not actually true that having a monthly bleed serves no function. The week-long break gives your body a break
from the hormones, something that has been found to be necessary for most people who take hormonal birth control or hormone replacement therapy.

The studies done on menstrual suppression have found that it's safe for people older than 18 years to do it every once in a while. We have no data on the safety of menstrual suppression for people younger than 18.

Your pill will still be effective as birth control if you skip the placebo week and go into taking the new pack right away.

For specific suggestions on whether you need to do anything else to make this work, I'd suggest consulting the healthcare provider who prescribed your pill. When making a change to medication of any sort, it really is sound to consult the prescribing provider, a pharmacist, or both.

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, no matter what you decide to do with this, do know this business about having to worry about an increased risk of bear attacks or drawing bears when menstruating is a myth.

There are so many myths about menstruation and women's bodies, most based in ignorance, sexism, or both, and this is one of them. I always feel the need to pipe up when I hear anyone letting these myths limit their lives or causing them undue worry: we have enough real things to worry about! Really, you don't have to worry about this.

For more info, see:

(This might also be bear-ist? [Big Grin] )

Edited: now having an argument in the house about if bearist is the right term. [Razz] Votes have been put in for bearophobic, or ursidist.)

[ 09-16-2013, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.