Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth control pills and pregnancy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control pills and pregnancy?
Ransu
Activist
Member # 80039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ransu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So my gf have been on birth control pills for the past 2 years. This month, she took one or two of her pills 4 hours late and we had sex with and without a condom. Tomorrow will be her last pill before her pill free week and she had red spotting followed by brown spotting 2 days ago, which is on her last 3rd pill. Is that normal or should I be concerned? She also had a test which she said stressed her out a bit. Spotting never really happened to her before. Should I be concerned?
Posts: 67 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is she using a mini-pill or a combined pill? If it's the latter, not the former, 4 hours isn't actually late at all. Combined pills have a grace period of 12 hours before pills are late.

Spotting, or breakthrough bleeding, is a common side effect of birth control pills. Even if it never happened before, it's likely nothing to be concerned about now, unless she (and you) isn't up to date with STI tests, especially if you're engaging in sex without condoms. If she's not current with those tests, I'd just suggest she (and again, you, if you're not) get current to make sure she's in good sexual health and the spotting isn't due to an infection.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ransu
Activist
Member # 80039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ransu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She's having slight boob pain now. I hope her period comes.. My concern is, will she probably be pregnant due to her missing her pills by 4 hours?
Posts: 67 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heather asked whether your girlfriend is taking a combination pill or a mini (progesterone-only) pill. The criteria for when a pill is late change based on whether a person is taking a combination or mini pill. Here is more information: Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ransu
Activist
Member # 80039

Oh my bad. She's taking the combined pills.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, as you can see from what heather told you, and from the article I linked you to, your girlfriend taking her pill four hours later than usual will most likely not have impacted its effectiveness.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ransu
Activist
Member # 80039

Is brown spotting before withdrawl bleed normal? She had twice ever since..
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ransu, please re-read the second paragraph of Heather's reponse. She answers your question there.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Many people do experience spotting before their withdrawal bleed, yes.

It sounds like you'd really benefit from being able to put this fear to rest. Have you been doing any self-care? Here are some self-care ideas: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/crisis/selfcare_a_la_carte

--------------------
Robin

Ransu
Activist
Member # 80039

Every now and then when she wipes after going to the toilet, she gets a bit of blood. Is that one of a indicator that her period is coming? The chances of pregnancy is very low I suppose.. so I'm not as worried.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.