Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Implant side effects?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Implant side effects?
thecrazycatlady
Neophyte
Member # 96121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thecrazycatlady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I switched from the contraceptive injection to the implant last summer and it's been so much easier to manage. The only problem is that the side effects have been kind of annoying. It was fine for a few months and then the spot breakouts started - I haven't had skin that bad since I was 14!
Now that seems to have calmed down, but now my breasts have become tender and slightly swollen. They've been feeling this way for a few weeks now. The reason I'm slightly worried about this is because a few months ago I found a breast lump. When I went to get it checked out the doctor confirmed it was completely benign, just a fibroadenoma - apparently they're common in women in my family. But I've heard breast tenderness can be a worrying sign...but after how mad my hormones have been on the implant, I know it could just be another annoying side effect.
Has anyone else on the implant experienced this? I was also thinking of switching to the coil, but I've heard it's such an invasive procedure I'd rather only get it if these side effects are actually health risks.
Also - it is highly, highly unlikely I could be pregnant. My boyfriend and I use condoms every time and they have never failed.

--------------------
The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts.

Posts: 14 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Thecrazycatlady,

I'm a little unclear what health risks you're concerned about?

Breast tenderness is common for a lot of people as a response to hormones. Breast tissue is just really sensitive to any sorts of hormonal changes.

Here's some information on the implant that might help you out:

the Contraceptive Implant (Implanon)

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thecrazycatlady
Neophyte
Member # 96121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thecrazycatlady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!
I think it's just the fact that the tenderness has been going on for so long, I thought it would have gone away by now. My breast lump scare has just made me more wary of any changes going on, I guess. It's more whether or not it's just hormones or could be something more serious. I'm only 20 (don't smoke or drink an awful lot, have a fairly healthy lifestyle) so finding a malignant tumour or something I know is very unlikely, but I've heard prolonged breast swelling and tenderness can be a symptom.
Maybe it seems silly since everyone's experience on hormonal contraception is different, I'd just like to know if anyone else has had a similar experience, to put my mind at ease!

--------------------
The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts.

Posts: 14 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're concerned about the prolonged breast tenderness, the best person to talk to would be your doctor since they can actually examine you.

It's understandable that you'd want to hear other people's experiences. Let's see if anyone stops by to weigh in.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.