Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » birth control pill and antibiotics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: birth control pill and antibiotics
katie8472
Neophyte
Member # 108171

Icon 9 posted      Profile for katie8472     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I've got a scare on my hands that's quite specific and would like some input. I've been on the birth control pill for three years, and I am a perfect user. Although, 3 months ago I got extremely sick and required the medication biaxin( an antibiotic) and my doctor informed me it may decrease the effectiveness of my pill. I had not had any intercourse during this time. I then got very ill from the antibiotics and got a Candida infection in my mouth, esophagus and vaginal area. I was prescribed two medications (3 strong doses of flouriconzole a yeast treatment pill) and nystatin liquid for my esophagus. I took the treatment for 7 days and ended taking my last dose during my first inactive pill. I got a full period the next day on time. I continued by birth control and had intercourse with my boyfriend using the withdrawal method or condoms. I then had another period on time during my withdrawal pills as scheduled. The third month, I got my period within the scheduled time but it was slightly shorter in duration. I've taken 6 pregnancy tests, all negative. But I've had bloating around mid section, sore heavy breasts, some nausea at night( which may be due to anxiety), low back pain and fatigue. I am extremely nervous both of my methods failed. I know that its unhealthy to look up the topic on the web. I'm so nervous. I'm extremely stressed as I started a new job and my boyfriends dad passed away four days ago and he's unemployed. Again, I am a perfect user of the pill other then 3 months ago when I was sick. I'm so afraid.

--------------------
K.k

Posts: 10 | From: chicago, il | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do I have it right that you did not engage in any sex in the cycle you used the antibiotics?

If so, you can know that any pill cycles AFTER that could not have been impacted by them, because you were no longer taking them.

Also, no one pregnant who follows the instructions on a pregnancy test and takes six over months, all with negative results, is pregnant.

However, it sounds like it's time to see your doctor about all those symptoms you have been dealing with so you can find out what IS going on, and make sure you don't need healthcare, okay?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi katie, and welcome to Scarleteen.

It's true that some antibiotics can lessen the effectiveness of birth control pills, but it sounds like you were backing up with condoms and withdrawal during that time, which would give you back the protection you'd be losing from drug interactions.

Setting all that aside, though, you've had six pregnancy tests come back negative - there's really no clearer way to know you're not pregnant. What do you feel is keeping you from trusting those test results?

I absolutely agree that looking up health issues to see if they're tied to pregnancy is a bad idea, if you're prone to anxiety around this. There is a lot of just plain wrong information about pregnancy online.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katie8472
Neophyte
Member # 108171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katie8472     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you molias and heather for a speedy reply. I did not engage in any sexual activity during my course of antibiotics or yeast infection treatments. My doctors did tell me to use a backup method for an entire month after using the antibiotics. I always use the withdrawal method irregardless in addition to my pill. I do have severe anxiety about becoming pregnant, which has resolved mostly due to being on the pill until I got sick and heard the dreaded "decreased effectiveness" statement. Then all of my fears came flooding back. I have ibs and severe gerd which leads me to frequently experience nausea and my doctor said I suffer from panic attacks because its hard for me to be stable because I'm a people pleaser. I have another question..is it normal for your body to experience New symptoms on birth control due to stress? Thanks again for all of your support. Also the last time I engaged in intercourse was 07/25. I tested yesterday with first morning urine. I have tested five times prior. We usually engage in intercourse 3 times per week always using the eithdrawl method and if not withdrawal, condoms.

--------------------
K.k

Posts: 10 | From: chicago, il | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katie8472
Neophyte
Member # 108171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katie8472     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also you asked what's keeping me from believing the results...my persitant breast fullness and lack of appetite are what keep me from having peace. I haven't changed pills or altered times in three years. I haven't introduced any long term medications other then an occasional xanex for my anxiety prescribed by my doctor. I have also started urinating 30 plus times a day. I usually drink caffeinated soda only in large amounts so I have really cut back and introduced water, decaf tea and juice and I'm still experiencing swollen breasts. I take beyaz so ill be expecting my period within 9-13 days from now. I was so concerned about pregnancy that I even called a taxi to take me to the store to get another batch of tests when my car wouldn't start. I have become obsessed with the thought of being pregnant and not producing enough hcg. I already have enough stress at hand, but I find this consuming my life and constantly believe that every bought of a bowel movement or slight armpit pain has to do with me being "pregnant".

--------------------
K.k

katie8472
Neophyte
Member # 108171

Also you asked what's keeping me from believing the results...my persitant breast fullness and lack of appetite are what keep me from having peace. I haven't changed pills or altered times in three years. I haven't introduced any long term medications other then an occasional xanex for my anxiety prescribed by my doctor. I have also started urinating 30 plus times a day. I usually drink caffeinated soda only in large amounts so I have really cut back and introduced water, decaf tea and juice and I'm still experiencing swollen breasts. I take beyaz so ill be expecting my period within 9-13 days from now. I was so concerned about pregnancy that I even called a taxi to take me to the store to get another batch of tests when my car wouldn't start. I have become obsessed with the thought of being pregnant and not producing enough hcg. I already have enough stress at hand, but I find this consuming my life and constantly believe that every bought of a bowel movement or slight armpit pain has to do with me being "pregnant".

[ 08-07-2013, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: katie8472 ]

--------------------
K.k

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi k.K,

Have you discussed this persistent anxiety with your doctor? Have you received any other treatments, either medication or therapy, for the anxiety besides the Xanex?

Given that the facts (the negative pregnancy tests) are not helping you with your worry, I strongly advise seeking help for this anxiety from a healthcare provider.

In answer to your question about stress and pill side effects, a person can get side effects on the birth control pill at any time for any reason. There are a whole lot of other chemicals and hormones in the body that the pill doesn't regulate which can affect the body. Breasts, in particular, are really sensitive to minute hormonal changes.

Since you have a diagnosed digestive disorder, I'd recommend discussing your lack of appetite with your healthcare provider.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katie8472
Neophyte
Member # 108171

I have discussed it previously when I had a scare months ago. They agreed that it would be a good idea to test for pregnancy prior (a year ago). They have always given me pregnancy urine or tests or blood work upon request. They always state that the pill is never 100 percent effective( as I already knew this hence the requests for tests). My gynocologist was a little more ofa believer of the pills efficancy. Prior she had told me that I had very thin endometrial lining due to the pill and that it was doing its job. That was a year ago and I haven't been afraid since this antibiotic, steroid and fluriconzole treatment. Even the first month after the antibiotics I was fine emotionally. It was only until I started noticing breast fullness, boughts of nausea, fuller stomach and frequent urination and leg-achiness that I began to become worrisome. I haven't been able to visit a doctor for these symptoms because I'vstarted a new job and have been helping my boyfriend through the grieving process of losing his dad. Plus my doctor takes about 3 months to book both g.p and gynecologist. I really believe all of my fears will subside once my monthly withdrawl bleed arrives, hopefully. I know that there's nothing I can do until then so I should stop fretting. I also purchased 2 more tests so that I can get through the writing process

--------------------
K.k

katie8472
Neophyte
Member # 108171

Waiting* not writing, I apologize.

--------------------
K.k

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you know what you need to do then.

Best of luck. [Smile]

[ 08-08-2013, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katie8472
Neophyte
Member # 108171

Hi. Just wanted to update on my situation. On my third inactive pill, I started feeling slight cramps which continued for two days. I have infact missed my period and took yet another sensitive test which was negative. Any ideas of why this is happening and what I should do next? I've never missed a period on this pill after years

--------------------
K.k

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you still in the withdrawal week, or have you already started your active pills? If you are still within the withdrawal week, I'd not call this a missed period just yet - it may still show up.

But even if you did skip it, it does not sound like it is at all likely that this is due to pregnancy, seeing as how you've been using the pill correctly and have had a few regular withdrawal bleeds, as well as negative pregnancy tests.

I want to echo Robin's question and ask what you have been doing to deal with your anxiety? Have you asked specifically for counseling to help you develop some coping skills?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katie8472
Neophyte
Member # 108171

We'll, actually it just arrived an hour ago before taking my first active pill. Relieving. Actually for my anxiety, I just have been keeping active and staying away from forums other then this one. I haven't experienced any nausea or panic in three days, which is a huge deal to me since its been so persistant for months. I haven't taken any xanex ether. Oddly my acid reflux has seemed to ease up as well. The way that the mind reacts to stress and causes physical manifestions ofpainforcan be scary and confusing, but it justgoes to show from my example that allowing the stress to fill your life can be so tolling, physically as well as emotionally. I still need to visit my doctor as I have been having persistant bloating and messy bowel movements. As for help in regards to my panic attacks, I actually know the cause of them. I don't know how to handle situations that are out of my control and I always want to "repair" others negative feelings, but in turn by feeding into their woes and worries, I negate my positive feelings. I am thinking about picking up a self help book since seeing a counsler is time consuming. I greatly appreciate all of the feedback. This really is an amazing site and not for just pregnancy scares. I really value all of the volunteers sincerity, facts, and reasoning skills. Thanks again.

--------------------
K.k

katie8472
Neophyte
Member # 108171

We'll, actually it just arrived an hour ago before taking my first active pill. Relieving. Actually for my anxiety, I just have been keeping active and staying away from forums other then this one. I haven't experienced any nausea or panic in three days, which is a huge deal to me since its been so persistant for months. I haven't taken any xanex ether. Oddly my acid reflux has seemed to ease up as well. The way that the mind reacts to stress and causes physical manifestions ofpainforcan be scary and confusing, but it justgoes to show from my example that allowing the stress to fill your life can be so tolling, physically as well as emotionally. I still need to visit my doctor as I have been having persistant bloating and messy bowel movements. As for help in regards to my panic attacks, I actually know the cause of them. I don't know how to handle situations that are out of my control and I always want to "repair" others negative feelings, but in turn by feeding into their woes and worries, I negate my positive feelings. I am thinking about picking up a self help book since seeing a counsler is time consuming. I greatly appreciate all of the feedback. This really is an amazing site and not for just pregnancy scares. I really value all of the volunteers sincerity, facts, and reasoning skills. Thanks again.

--------------------
K.k

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I'm glad to hear things are going better for you.

--------------------
Robin

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.