Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » IUD and menstrual cup

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IUD and menstrual cup
beehive
Neophyte
Member # 38767

Icon 5 posted      Profile for beehive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a copper IUD fitted a couple of days ago. When I get my period I usually use a Femmecup menstrual cup, and the manufacturer's website says they are safe to use with an IUD in place. But how soon after fitting do you think it will be safe to use my cup? I forgot to ask my doctor, and trying to find information on the net hasn't been very useful- some places say straight away, some six months.

I would really like to use the cup as soon as possible as I'm bleeding a lot at the moment and I hate using pads. It seems to me that if it's safe to use tampons or have sex it should be safe to use the cup. On the other hand, some people say the suction from the cup can pull the IUD out. Is this true? I had an IUD fitted last year which got displaced and had to be removed, and I would really like to avoid this happening again!

Posts: 12 | From: London, England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Beehive,

There's no actual data on whether menstrual cups affect the IUD right after insertion so you'll need to go with your gut on this one.

Since you did have a problem with IUD placement previously, I'd suggest being cautious with this one.

You could always give your doctor's office a call and ask for their input on this.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorkmaiden
Neophyte
Member # 103905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snorkmaiden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, if people get in trouble with the combination of an IUD and a cup, the problem is generally caused by inadvertedly pulling on the strings, not by the suction sucking the IUD out.

Imagine a piece of ice (the IUD) inside a soda bottle (your uterus), and someone who is trying to suck the ice out of the bottle. Yeah, that's not very likely to work. You can't really suck something solid out of a hollow space like that, unless you suck a whole lot harder than a cup can ever do.

I'm not an expert, but I've used an IUD for ten years and a cup for five, not at the same time though. I second the advice to tread carefully here, and asking your doctor won't hurt either.

Posts: 17 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beehive
Neophyte
Member # 38767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beehive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder why I didn't think of calling my doctor? Thank you Robin!

I just called them and they said it would be fine. As you say Snorkmaiden, the whole suction thing is not really a problem, it would just be a case of being sure not to pull on the threads. I think that will be quite easy because the threads seem quite high up/short and the cup sits low down so hopefully they won't interfere with each other.

Posts: 12 | From: London, England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome. Glad you got that sorted out! [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.