Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Pill query

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pill query
heythereyou
Neophyte
Member # 107489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heythereyou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

This might be too medical a question but I think I have made a kinda stupid mistake. Had sex yesterday, friday and used a condom. I am also on the pill and had taken it correctly. I had started my 4 day break on Thursday and due my period in 2 days. However on Wednesday I am due to have a procedure which requires me taking laxatives on tuesday, which may affect the absorption of my pill.

I have heard sperm can survive for up to a week and worried that this lack of absorption(missed pill) will cause me to ovulate and put me at risk for pregnancy, if the condom did not work. Is there anything i can do?

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Heythereyou,

If you used the condom for all genital contact and it did not slip off at any point, or break, then you can know that it did what it was supposed to.

Condoms don't work when people don't use them for all genital contact, or when they break or slip off during sexual activity.

In terms of your pill effectiveness, you might want to give your healthcare provider's office a call, or talk to your pharmacist, to get an opinion on whether the preparation for this procedure will interact with your birth control pill.

If, however, you always use condoms, you can know that you have an effective form of birth control backing up your pill. That's the benefit to making a habit of using two methods. :

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.