Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth control - late period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control - late period?
m0o
Neophyte
Member # 8591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m0o     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this may be a silly question, but I'm an extreme worrywart. I've been taking birth control pills ever since this past fall, and eventually switched to another kind 3 months ago. Everything's been fine with them, and I always get my period on the Friday of the week I start the blank pills during the day time, without fail. I've never missed a pill once in my life, and I always take them generally around the same time. It's just that today is Friday and nothing has arrived and I'm getting worried, considering that tomorrow is the last blank pill before I start the hormones again. My boyfriend has used a condom everytime we've done something this past month, so I'm not too worried about it, yet I am. I didn't know if it didn't come by tomorrow and I started the hormones again on sunday, if it would just skip altogether and I'd be in trouble, or if everything would be fine?
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you've been taking your pills correctly, then you don't need to worry about pregnancy. It's not uncommon for women to sometimes have a little wonkiness with their withdrawal bleeds sometimes within the first few months of a new pill, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's going on with you. You'll be just fine if you don't have a withdrawal bleed this time.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
And I'm thinking, since you said you are extremly worrywart, that maybe stress and worries could have something to do with it ? Have you been stressed a lot lately ?

The birth control pill does regulate periods, but to a certain extent. If your body is dealing with bigger issues, be it weight, diet, sleep or stress, than that's another reason why your period could be totally wonky too, even though you're on the pill.

[ 05-12-2007, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I understand it, and someone correct ME if I'm wrong, stress won't delay a period if you're on birth control.

Normally, stress can make it late because your body looks for the best conditions before ovulating. So if you're stressed out when you're about to ovulate, you may end up ovulating late or not at all, which in turn makes your period late or can make you miss it entirely.

Now, the thing is, when you're on hormonal birth control, you don't actually ovulate at ALL- that bleed you have is actually just a chemical withdrawal bleed. So stress, so far as I understood, won't actually cause it to be late.

That said, cool IS right that weight changes and exercise can cause it to be late.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a bit suspicious myself about stress so I made a quick search about it here on this site to verify that and I found those threads who said it could have an effect on your period even though you are on the pill :

Panicking

Missed period on the pill

Stress/period

Period and birth control

Chance ?

Should I worry ?

So I wrote my answer based on that. Stress might not necessarily be the cause of her delayed period here, but I think it is nonetheless, based on this search, a reason as to why a period might be late on the pill, so that's why I suggested it.

But, if it's not true oR if there is a subtility that I just quite haven't caught, then I'd like someone to correct me so I don't make the same mistake again next time.

[ 05-12-2007, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Birth control pills are designed to induce a withdrawal bleed during the placebo week. That said, m0o indicated that this is her 3rd or 4th pack of pills.

So, it's probably a good bet that this is simply some expected wonkiness towards the end of the adjustment period, when the body will start to "decide" when it wants to bleed without hormones! I agree, it caused me a little extra stress, too.

Most pill instructions say that one missed period is not to be worried about unless you've not taken your pills correctly (often two or more missed in a row, nausea/vomiting without a backup method, etc). If, however, you miss the next one, too, it's time to call your doctor for advice. [Smile]

[ 05-12-2007, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pepstep
Neophyte
Member # 44428

Icon 5 posted      Profile for pepstep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA AND MY BOYFRIEND LIVES IN NEW YORK. I VISITED HIM ON THE EAST COAST THIS PAST WEEK. I HAVE A HARD TIME REMEMBERING TO TAKE MY BIRTH CONTROL PILL AT THE SAME EXACT TIME EVERYDAY, SO IVE MADE MYSELF AN ALARM ON MY PHONE. OF COURSE THE SETTINGS AND TIME CHANGED ACCORDING TO WHERE I WAS LOCATED AT THE TIME. WITH THE TIME DIFFERENCE, I TOOK MY PILL 3 HOURS EARLY FOR 7 DAYS. SHOULD I BE WORRIED?

--------------------
-Pep

Posts: 1 | From: california | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope: taking pills early won't compromise your effectiveness: it's taking them late which can.

(For future reference, can you turn off your caps lock when you post, please? Thanks!)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steamnandhu
Neophyte
Member # 107546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steamnandhu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a one boy friend , i chat with sex matter or sexy chat in my boy friend in 3 and half yrs for every weeks, some time i sex with my boy friend , he was touching in boobs and veginas so many times, liquid comes with my vegina in every time , some time i want to self sex , now i got late periods in one month , so i am nerves , pls tell answer

--------------------
Nandhini

Posts: 1 | From: Chennai | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steamnandhu,

From your post it's hard for me to tell if there was a risk of pregnancy. I think you might find this page really helpful, Pregnancy Risk Assesment. This page walks you through determining if there was a risk of pregnancy. Give this a read and let us know if you still have questions.

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.