Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Options BC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Options BC
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I am seeing my doctor Wednesday and while I am there I want to bring up the question about Birth Control with her, but I have a slight problem.

I enjoy my period. It always comes at the same time (day) each month and I don't have issues with cramps, soreness, etc., maybe the slightest mild un-noticed period cramp/issue...

I know I had bleeding issues which concerned me, bleed lightly, reduced days of bleeding, but it's been good now.

My co-worker has a IUD and I mean, it stays inside of you for 5 years and you don't get a period (cup catches it), but at the same time I don't have to worry about taking a pill, changing a path or getting a shot every 3 months.

IUD: It's kept inside of you for 5 years and I feel that it should belong there. I enjoy my periods and I know that my body is working fine, and having a IUD I wouldn't know if my period has come and gone.

Depo-Shot: I enjoy having a period and this you don't get a period and the amount of milk I would need to consume isn't even remotely going to add up to the amount I need when I already can't drink or have large amounts of dairy.

Patch: I feel okay with this, changing it once a week, not worrying about a pill to take at such a time, but my worry is if if it falls off or half falls off. People have told me, they fall off fast, do they and if they do how do you prevent that from happening?

Pill: Taking a pill at a certain time each day, would be like pulling teeth and this wouldn't be possible.

Condoms: Last partner never used condoms (yes risks for STI's and Pregnancy) but I had a lot of trust in him and he had self-control.

Spermicide: I know it's great for a back-up method because it makes the sperm harder to swim and basically kills it... and good for lubrication.

I'm a bit hesitant in Birth Control hormones, just, I honestly putting something in your body can change things alter things like any other medication, just, maybe it's the fact I dislike medication and I am fine taking vitamins but not anything else.

I told my co-worker asking for her advice and opinion on something, I had asked her this, "since I was I don't know 17, I wanted to go to a doctor and get my tubes tied..." She looked at me like, "what???" I don't want to bare my own kids, it's not the pain, or the process, I feel every kid out there needs a home and if one doesn't have one, then adopt and give it what it needs and deserves. But I know this would never happen since me almost 20 and I may change my mind later, it's impossible.

I'm confused... in birth control, it's not that I'm not educated at all, because I know the basics and that...

Not only that... my diabetes that had "disappeared" in my system for over a year not a trace of findings leading back to me having diabetes, it's showing up again... that is why I'm seeing my doctor to go over tests, which that can alter Birth Control options...

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Algernon,

Have you seen this article? It walks through a lot of different birth control options and will answer a lot of your questions: Birth Control Bingo!

One thing I do want to note specifically is about IUDs: they aren't cup-shaped, can't hold or collect menstrual flow, and do not necessarily stop your period. The hormonal type can result in lighter or shorter periods, or sometimes stop them altogether, but if you want a non-hormonal method, the copper IUD will not do this. That article is here: Intrauterine Devices (IUD, IUC or IUS)

One thing I'd suggest is to take a list of all these questions to your doctor so you can go over them there. Certainly if you are concerned about using hormonal methods, I think your doctor will be the best person to discuss those worries with. There are non-hormonal options and it could be that once you have a discussion about some of the hormonal ones you will decide that one sounds ok to you.

You can certainly ask a doctor about a tubal ligation as well; that can be difficult for people who have not had children to have done but it tends to just depend on the doctor. I've known people who have been able to get a doctor to perform permanent sterilization without much trouble and some who've really had to fight for it.

[ 04-22-2013, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: Molias ]

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no cup with an IUD, and no IUD "catches" or contains menstrual flow. And there are two types of IUDs: the Mireina and the Paragard.

The former contains as small amount of progestin hormone it administers locally to help those who have heavier bleeding or cramping with the IUD. Some users of that IUD will stop having periods, but not most. Most with still have them, they are just often far lighter, and may be more sporadic.

The Paragard, however, has no hormones (and can be kept in longer). But women who DO have painful or heavy periods often find it can increase cramps or level of flow. That would probably be less of an issue for you from what you say here about your periods. And people using the Paraguard don't tend to have any changes to periods when using it save that flow can be heavier or periods crampier.

My main concern with you and IUDs, Alergnon, would be that you do tend to change partners relatively often from a health-perspective (rather than being in a mutually monogamous relationship for years), and don't have a record that I know of being good about using condoms. An IUD can put you at a higher risk for complications from any infections, so I'd say if you don't think you can realistically change your tune with condoms, that might not be the best choice for you.

(Personally, as someone who has worked with you for a while now and cares about you, I'd say getting much better about condom use is a must, no matter what you do about BC.)

You also don't need to drink milk with Depo, and I don't know where you're getting that. It can present bone-mass issues in adolescents, but a) you're not adolescent and b) we don't have to drink milk to get extra calcium, anyway. Even strict vegans can add calcium to their diets. [Smile]

But ultimately, this is the kind of conversation to have with your provider, going through all these options. And if you want to narrow down what you might want in advance, how about using our in-depth tool to do just that, which includes accurate information, not guesses or hearsay, on all the possible options?

• Birth Control Bingo!

[ 04-22-2013, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw my family doctor today and I brought up the conversation of Birth Control and that taking pills for me wont work because I would forget. So we talked and I'm going to do the Patch I asked her about low cost and she told me I would need to go to the sexual health clinic they hold at the office. Looks like I'll suck it up and go Tuesday between 5pm and 8pm (resulting in me not getting sleep before work).

I forgot to ask her something, I asked her that I hear that it can fall off sometimes, if someone sweats a lot...

I don't sweat a lot. What if it did fall off, what do you do then? This is a dumb question, could I put tape over top of it so it doesn't fall off by mistake? or is that not a good idea?

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Alergnon,

You know, I don't know what people do to keep their patches on. The patch system is used for a variety of medications though, so I bet this is something your pharmacist might know something about from talking with different people.

You can also call your doctor's office and ask to speak to a nurse, or to the doctor herself, because you have a follow-up question. they might not be able to speak to you right away, but would tell you when someone could get back to you.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.