Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Prescribed different BC pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Prescribed different BC pill?
soscaredx
Activist
Member # 95084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soscaredx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again...

I have another question for you guys... I recently got my prescription for BC filled at my usual pharmacy. I take Sprintec. This time around, the lady working the pharmacy gave me something different... she gave me a BC pill called Mono-Linyah.

She had said that Sprintec is on back order, and while that's going on, they've been giving it to the ladies coming for Sprintec. Tomorrow will be the first day I'm on it. Should I be worried about the effectiveness of it for the first week? Or will it be the same as when I take the Sprintec?

Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi soscared. Mono-Linyah is a generic version of Sprintec so they are effectively the same brand of pill.

You effectiveness should not be compromised when you start up the mono-linyah this cycle, as long as it's taken on time.

You can always call the pharmacist who prescribes the pill for you to check in with them about it.

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soscaredx
Activist
Member # 95084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soscaredx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thanks so much. [Big Grin]
Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soscaredx
Activist
Member # 95084

Okay, back with another question:

I talked to you guys and with my pharmacy, and with your help, understand that taking Mono-Linyah is fine, and no worries. But something else has came up. Sprintec isn't in a hard compact case... so getting the pill out was never a big deal. It came out super easily.

However, with the Mono-Linyah, it is a little more difficult. You have to pop the pill out of the bottom of the little hard case. When I took the first pill out of the pack on Wednesday, I noticed that there was a tiny chip in the pill. It looked like a piece of the coating had chipped away. I figured that I was a little rough taking it out, but then I noticed that Thursday and Friday's pill had a little chip in them as well. I don't think I caused the chips, because I was very careful when taking Thursday and Friday's pill out of the pack.

So, being the worrier that I am, I went to my pharmacy yesterday and told my pharmacist about the problem, and she gave me another pack of Mono-Linyah, and told me to try that one, and if it isn't any better, to bring all the packs up and they'd send them back to the manufacturer.

So, I'd already taken 3 pills out of the old pack... and I started on the 4th pill of the new pack she gave me yesterday. Was that the right call? Or should I have started on the first pill of the new pack? Also, I asked her if a small chip in the coating would cause the pills to be less effective, and she told me that I didn't have anything to worry about, and that there would still be enough pill in my blood stream to prevent pregnancy even in cases where I wasn't backing up with a condom. Does this sound correct?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You did the right thing per picking up with the new pack where you had left off with the old one.

In terms of addressing the "chip" in the pills, not being able to see this, I'd say your pharmacist is the person who is the expert on this one: all I'd be doing is wildly guessing.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soscaredx
Activist
Member # 95084

I hate to keep bothering you guys... but I have just one more question:

I had mentioned in my last reply that I had taken 3 pills out of the old, chipped pill pack, and I started up on the 4th pill on the new pack the pharmacist gave me.

Well, yesterday, I noticed that I screwed up big time. I should have taken the 6th pill of the new pack yesterday... However, I noticed that I was only on the 5th pill of the pack, which should have been Monday's pill. I'm almost positive that I've taken one pill every day that I'm supposed to.

I think what happened, is instead of starting on the fourth pill like I thought I had (and I should have done), I started on the 3rd pill (which I had already taken the third pill in the old, chipped pack). How do I handle this? Even though I took the wrong day's pills, they were still the active blue ones...

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they were the same pills you were supposed to take, there shouldn't be any problem. There should be no difference in the pills from day to day unless that difference is indicated by color or some other signal to tell you they're different.

Don't forget; you can always call your pharmacy with these kinds of medication questions. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, just a thought, can't you just check and see how many pills are at the beginning of the pack? If there are two then you took the third by mistake, if there are three then you took the fourth and this mistake was made at a different time.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.