Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Curious about BC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Curious about BC
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m_azul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a lot of clear, thin discharge ever since I started this pack of birth control pills. Even when I'm not "in the mood." Is it just my normal, healthy vaginal fluid? Or does this mean my pills are letting me ovulate? I've taken them perfectly I think, so I was just curious.
Posts: 281 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We can't possibly know for sure what your discharges are based on a conversation online.

What we CAN know is that:
• If you are taking the combined pill properly, it is not at all likely you are ovulating. And if that discharge is lasting more than a couple days, we can also know that's not about ovulation, because ovulatory discharge doesn't go on like that.
• There is a range of normal vaginal discharges for people using and not using birth control pills, and for both, that absolutely includes clear, thinner discharge.
• If this keeps up over many days or weeks, it may be about a bacterial infection. If so, and especially you're not current with your basic sexual healthcare, you may want to check in with a healthcare provider about this.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m_azul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no I don't want a bacterial infection! But okay. It's been for about four days.. With a little cramping yesterday (which could be a pill side effect) so that's why ovulation popped in my mind. But yes, that one day I posted I though I took my pill late after possibly having a risk, I really didn't take it late. I started Sunday with my first active pill later than normal, but Monday (after my "risk?") I took my second pill on time. I've also taken my others around the same time and I haven't skipped. So I'm pretty sure I've taken them as best as I can.

If it continues, I should probably get checked out I suppose!

Posts: 281 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, bacterial infections are a bummer, but that happen very commonly to people with vaginas, and are most often very easily treated. If that is what this is -- and it very well might not be -- the world will not end, I promise. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Thank you for your kindness and help [Smile]
I'm so glad I do have the pill to rely on these days though!

Heather
Member # 3

You're welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Would it be irresponsible to use a condom if my bf and I plan to do something that involves ejaculation, and rely on the pill when we don't plan that?
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

I guess I'd rather word it... Condoms for intercourse, trust the pill for everything else
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's really up to YOU what level of protection you're comfortable with for what activities. It's not for us to judge as "irresponsible" or not (which we don't do here anyway [Smile] ), it's about what you need for yourself. So, if pill+condoms for intercourse and pill for everything else is what you're comfortable with, then that's the way to go.
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Okay [Smile] thank you [Smile] pill only for everything else is still good coverage/protection right?
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Hello! I have another question. My prescription insert said my BCPs can affect the wear of contact lenses... How is this? Because I was great with contacts, now they just make me want to scratch my eyeballs!!!!! I didn't understand how this could happen.

Also, my pills have caused a lot of problems. My breasts are killing me, I have acne, cramps, anxiety/depression/mood changes, backaches, and my contact lens problems. I also feel terribly sick ONLY on the first three days of my new packs. I have taken two whole packs, and I start week three of my third pack tomorrow. I took a pregnancy yesterday after *maybe* having genital contact thirteen days ago. It was negative.

My gyno said a lot of women experience trouble like this until their bodies are used to pills. But I feel like its not changing :/ I got on pills to feel better, but I kinda feel worse.

But yeah, how does it affect contact lens wear and how much longer should I deal with these issues before I ask my doc/NP to change my pill type?

Heather
Member # 3

To my knowledge, that's an issue because of the extra dryness with mucous membranes that oral contraceptives can cause.

Per this and other issues with your pill, what's generally advised is giving a hormonal method around three months for your body to settle in -- or not -- with it before you look to switch.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Hello! It's been a while since I've posted (that's a lot of progress for me!) but I have a question. This was my 3rd pack of BCPs, and my period was 4 days rather than 6, and I could use regular pads instead of overnights!!! The blood wasn't what pregnant women experience I'm assuming, so I should be okay there. I'm not at all complaining about the lighter periods, considering I used to have to stay home that week because I would faint often, but just checking, is this significant of a change normal for withdrawals on birth control? Thanks!
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

I am guessing if it comes when you expect your period, and there is bright red (fresh) period blood a person should be fine, regarding pregnancy, normal withdrawal, etc.?
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you described sounds like a normal withdrawal bleed to me. They'll probably average around the same length/heaviness, but that will include some shorter/lighter instances like what you just experienced.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Alrighty. I can chill for sure now [Smile] thanks a lot! It's always nice to get reassurance.
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

You know what was scary for me? I had heavy, heavy bleeding for 7-8 days prior to being prescribed birth control pills. I bleed through every night in bed, and my cramps made me double over. Now, into my fourth pack, my past 2 withdrawal bleeds have been 4 days, NO bleeding through, and NO bleeding at night. Maybe spotting, then it get heavier (a little) as I walk around my college campus or something like that. I no longer cramp, but my breasts are tender all month pretty much. It's just scary because you hear "shorter, lighter periods, or no period at all" and it's scary with much blood not coming out anymore. But I suppose that's a birth control pill's job, right?
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's scary about this for you? Is it just that the withdrawal bleeds are so different in length/heaviness than your periods were before you started taking the pill?
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Yes. That's what is scary, and that's why I keep coming back with "can you bleed while pregnant??" worries. I bleed so much that I could barely stand up, and now it's just enough to need a super light pad that I change like every three or four hours. It was a heavy overnight pad being changed every 1 1/2 hours! That is what makes me afraid. Because I've read on this site that a period is a great way to tell if you're not pregnant, but it's kinda frightening when you're period has changed so drastically since starting pills.
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Well, do remember that a withdrawal bleed is different from a period you'd have when not on the pill. So it's often going to be a little bit different from your experience with periods before you started to take it. But as I said above, what you're describing doesn't sound like anything unusual.
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Really? Okay. Thank you so much! Just every woman in my family that I have to ask is like "oh gosh, do you know how long it's been for me?? I can't remember tht stuff" so it isn't very helpful. And I know if something sounded alarming you'd let me know, so thanks.
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
m_azul, also, it might help you to know that some methods of hormonal birth control, including the combined pill, can be used to treat or manage symptoms like very heavy bleeding or menstrual pain. So, not only is your change in bleeding not unusual, it's one that's often intended and hoped for. Of course, everyone's body is different so it doesn't work for everyone, but overall, a person is more likely to have an improvement with heavy bleeding and pain when they're on the pill.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Thank you Redskies! I appreciate that. And yeah, that's why I wanted the pill in the first place. But for some odd reason I kept having these reoccurring pregnancy scares, which started making me afraid.
I asked Robin this, but idk if I worded it weird and if it was understandable. If one is on birth control and somehow got pregnant (pretty sure I wouldn't be, anyway) but I've wondered would a withdrawal stop? Since the lining is needed. Orrrr would the bleeding come anyway due to such a hormonal shift?

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If someone got pregnant while on birth control, their withdrawal periods would stop, yes.
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Alright. Thank you. I have always heard it wouldn't, so I'm glad that clears it up [Smile]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.