Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » First Pill - Period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First Pill - Period?
ParaPetunia
Neophyte
Member # 95078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaPetunia         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may seem like a silly question, but if you start taking the combined pill on the first day of your period, is your period supposed to continue while you take it? I've been taking it for a week now and my period is just as it normally is - it hasn't stopped, or got any lighter than it usually does. Is this what's supposed to happen? I don't know, I don't have time to see the doctor just to ask one question and my mum can't remember as she only took the pill for a short time, a LONG time ago [Razz] I'm just wondering if it's...well, working [Smile] x
Posts: 32 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI There,

No, the pill isn't supposed to stop your period.

So, nothing to worry about. :

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParaPetunia
Neophyte
Member # 95078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaPetunia         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks [Smile] I have another question - I'm on the 3rd cycle of my pill now, and the first 2 cycles I didn't have any problems. I have kind of had sex (in that there was penetration but we were unable to continue with it as it was too painful) since the last time, using a condom, and I have not missed any pills. I lost one pill of the last cycle down the drain, but I followed the instructions in the packet and took a pill at the right time, so my cycle was one day shorter but my contraceptive protection should not have been affected. I have had a withdrawal bleed since the last time I had penetrative intercourse.
However, THIS month, i.e. yesterday, I have had some spotting. It was dark brown and I still have 5 days left before my pill-free week. I know this is quite common in the first few months, but is there anything weird about the fact that it didn't happen during the first two cycles but is happening now? I'm a bit worried something could be wrong, and I'm just wondering if there's anything really to worry about. Sorry for the long post, just thought it might be useful to explain it all so you don't have to ask me too many questions [Smile] x

Posts: 32 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParaPetunia
Neophyte
Member # 95078

(just to add - I'm pretty sure it's not pregnancy as I haven't participated in any sexual activities in well over 3 weeks and as far as I know, implantation bleeds happen about a week after, right? Plus we used condoms and, technically, withdrawal too)
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you say, spotting isn't unusual. There's nothing concerning about it starting now, either. While side effects are most typical in the first few months of taking the pill, some people can go months or years without side effects, then develop them for one reason or another.

I'm sorry to hear about intercourse being painful. Want to talk about that and figure out some solutions?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParaPetunia
Neophyte
Member # 95078

If it's still painful next time then yes please, but I'll post again if it is. I'm in a long distance relationship so it's been a while since the last time I saw my boyfriend anyway - it could be different, especially as we're going to try using extra lube this time. He's a bit above average size and I seem to be significantly below average - I have never been able even to use tampons, even the smallest ones - so hopefully it will get better with time [Smile] he is very patient with me and we are both ready for it and trust each other, so there are no emotional issues. I'm hoping it was just nerves or the fact that I was expecting pain. Plus the fact that we didn't use any extra lube. Thanks for your help! [Smile] x
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

No problem. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

ParaPetunia
Neophyte
Member # 95078

Just another quick question about the breakthrough bleeding - I'm taking Microgynon 30 and the leaflet says it should stop in one or two days. It's got lighter, in that it's more brown discharge than actual blood, and there's less of it, but should I be worried if it continues for longer than a couple of days?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

No, that's not anything to be alarmed about if it only happens once. If it happens again, it's a good idea to check in with your doctor, at least so they know what is going on.

--------------------
Robin

ParaPetunia
Neophyte
Member # 95078

Okay, thank you [Smile] If it was something to be worried about, what exactly could it be? Could it be a sign of pregnancy, or infection or anything?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

No, it wouldnt' be a sign of pregnancy. Generally, it would just be something you'd want to talk to your doctor about so you could both figure out if that was the right brand of pill for you. Since you're just starting the pill though, it's sound to give it a few months to see how things settle.

--------------------
Robin

ParaPetunia
Neophyte
Member # 95078

Okay...about the painful intercourse...it still hurts. I'm definitely aroused enough, we ARE communicating and trying absolutely everything to make it not hurt, but it's still painful. Actually, just now, it's quite painful to sit in certain positions because I think my corona/hymen kind of broke in a weird way and there's this weird flap of something-or-other wobbling around about an inch inside me. I think this is what's making it hurt...should I probably go to the doctor?
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the only way to be 100% sure is to talk with your doctor. I'm sorry that this is causing you pain. [Frown]

In the meantime, have you checked out this article yet? It provides a pretty comprehensive list of where your pain could derive from.

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParaPetunia
Neophyte
Member # 95078

I've read that article but I'm almost certain it's this weird hymen/corona thing that's the problem - my boyfriend and I have been trying to have vaginal intercourse for quite a while and recently it's been a lot better, in that it didn't hurt AS much and I was actually able to feel some pleasure, woop [Smile] However, it's kind of alternately feeling good and really hurting now, and it definitely feels like that flap of skin is the problem. I've read your article on the corona and I'm confused because it says it's not supposed to break - it feels better now something's broken but because of what's left it feels worse...should this not have happened? Does it now constitute an injury? I'm a bit confused as to whether the problem is that the last bit hasn't broken or that the first bit has.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, someone who can get a look at you is likely the only person who can give you the kind of answers you're seeking here.

Mind, if this is about the hymen, the information we have on site makes clear that while no, it does not usually break, what it does usually do is gradually wear away, and it's supposed to. What "gradual" means can vary, though, where for one person, that may be in small ways they barely notice over a lifetime, but for someone else, may mean a more noticeable or substantial wearing-away at one time or another.

But you shouldn't be having pain now because of any change to the hymen. The hymen actually doesn't have any nerve endings of its own, so if you're having pain, that suggests something else is probably afoot here.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.