Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Nuvaring and menstrual cups

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nuvaring and menstrual cups
notsure88
Neophyte
Member # 33006

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notsure88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello again! I have a question that you ladies can maybe answer for me about nuvaring and using menstrual cups simultaneously..

I just started nuvaring on the first day of my period (last tuesday) and while my periods generally last 4 days, I am now on day 7 of my bleed. I understand that for the first few months my body will likely be a bit wonky until I adjust to the hormones, I'm not concerned about the bleeding itself, just more about how to handle it.

What's throwing me is the amount I am bleeding.. It's essentially like the last day of my period EVERY day.. This means that my tampons are on the drier side pretty much constantly, and I'm really not comfortable continuing using them for potentially weeks. I find pads/liners irritating over time along with being a bit bulky so that's really my last resort.

I decided quite a while ago that i would really like to switch to menstrual cups, so if they are compatible with nuvaring I think now would be a great time to try it out. I've read many resources and other nuvaring users experiences with cups and have seen really mixed results. The main fear appears to be that the ring will end up inside the cup, hindering the amount of hormones my body is absorbing from it. The other option would be wearing the ring under the cup, but I wonder how well it would stay put that low. Would my nuvarings effectiveness be altered by wearing it above/below a menstrual cup?

What do you guys know on this topic? Are there any other resources you could point me towards?

Thank you!

Posts: 14 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notsure88
Neophyte
Member # 33006

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notsure88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One last thing!

While looking for information about this, I came across some sketchy talk about silicone based lubricants coating the ring so it cannot release hormones properly. I could not find any official word on nuvarings packaging or their website, or any research on it whatsoever so I have no clue where this idea came from. Most of the instances when this was discussed online were between 2006 and 2009 when nuvaring was still very young. I'd imagine if the ring was failing because of silicone based lubes, it would be a fairly widespread issue and studied by now, in which case it surely would be noted on their website or packaging.

I'm extremely skeptical about this whole thing since I can't seem to find any scientific proof of the effects of silicone on the ring. When asked to produce a source, everyone who says that you can't use silicone lubes say they just "read it somewhere"..

So I'm wondering, what do you know about this topic? Any study you can point me towards?

If this somehow ends up being true, I'm going to be really bummed because I love my ky intrigue!

Posts: 14 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't find anything sound -- either in sound online sources, or the medical contraception references I keep in my office -- that suggests that EITHER the cup or a kind of lubricant you'd use would impact its effectiveness.

With the cup, you likely won't be using it while you have the ring in regardless, because your flow should be starting during the ring-free week.

If you're having weeks of heavy flow, that's something you should have investigated by a healthcare provider: weeks of period-like flow suggest something might well be amiss with your health. And I'd look into that with a provider before anything else.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notsure88
Neophyte
Member # 33006

Thank you for checking on that for me! It was just so sketchy and I figured if anyone would have up do date information about it, it would be you.

I started using the ring for the very frst time on Tuesday, and it was my understanding that it was normal to have a longer first period or irregular bleeding during my first few months; especially month one. Do you really think I should contact my doctor? It didn't even cross my mind because I just assumed it was pretty run of the mill.

Thanks again!

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also? You can always check in with your healthcare provider or pharmacist. After all, the ring is a medication that's prescribed to you, so getting information on it from those taking responsibility for prescribing it? It's part of their job to provide that for you.

How long has this bleeding been going on, and at what level? You said weeks of period-like flow, as I understand it.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notsure88
Neophyte
Member # 33006

Oh, I think I was being confusing in my original post.. The bleeding has been 8 days now.

I mentioned weeks of bleeding becuase I'm attempting to prepare myself, so if it continues I can be confident in using the menstrual cup since the tampoms are beginning to irritate me. Just trying to be a little proactive so if I NEED to dump the tampons I can.

Heather
Member # 3

If you wind up having weeks of bleeding, the thing to do is to go see your healthcare provider.

Weeks of period-level bleeding -- versus some occasional spotting -- is NOT something we'd expect from any BC method and should NOT be assumed to be a side effect of any method. But it should be looked into by a clinician, nurse or doctor.

And I'd put that visit way ahead of worries about how to collect that flow.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

notsure88
Neophyte
Member # 33006

Okay, I think I will give it until the end of the week and if it doesn't stop, i can send my doctor an email. I received my pap results in a personalized email from her so I think I'll contact her that way first.. Then from there, she can let me know of I actually need to come in for a in person visit.
notsure88
Neophyte
Member # 33006

One last thing, you mention spotting verses actual menstrual bleeding. Where do you draw the line between the two? Is there an amount that differentiates the two?
Heather
Member # 3

When we say spotting, we mean light bleeding.

Generally, in the week-ish or so that a person menstruates, the average amount of flow is about two tablespoons. Since that's tough to measure for folks not using cups, that tends to result in soaking (filling all the way) around one to seven normal-sized pads or tampons in a period.

So, if you're talking about half of that or less, then I'd say we're talking about spotting.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

notsure88
Neophyte
Member # 33006

Ah. That is good information to know! What is happening with me sounds more like spotting I think.. I go through about 3 tampons in a day, not because they are soaked but because that is the time limit I'm comfortable leaving them in for. They are mostly dry when I remove them, (hence the discomfort). During my regular period, I always go down to a lighter absorbancy over night because i usually bleed so little while I sleep. The past three nights I have not needed to use tampons at all.

Regardless, if it doesn't end by Friday I'll email my doctor.

[ 01-22-2013, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: notsure88 ]

Heather
Member # 3

Okay, so it really doesn't sound like this is period-level flow to me at all then, but spotting, and like your best bet might be just using something like a light liner, be is washable or disposable.

Insertable devices, be it tampons or cups, are likely to give you trouble when you use them for spotting.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

notsure88
Neophyte
Member # 33006

Yeah that's what I'm finding =/

I really dislike liners but I think that will be better for my health so I'll pick some up and tough it out! Thank you so much for talking me through this!

Heather
Member # 3

For future reference, washable liners and pads really, truly feel entirely different than the disposable kind.

So, if you've been thinking about a cup for flow, regardless, you might pair a cup with one of those anyway, as most users do, so maybe investing in some of those might be sound for you no matter what?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

notsure88
Neophyte
Member # 33006

Yes! That's a good idea. I'm stopping by our whole food store today so I think I'll take a peak and see what they have in regards to cups/cloth pads.
Heather
Member # 3

By all means, Whole Foods usually carries a nice variety, and if you're in or near Minneapolis, the Wedge in Uptown always used to, as well.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.