Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Cerazette and Nacrez birth control pills - are there any placebos?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cerazette and Nacrez birth control pills - are there any placebos?
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I've been taking Cerazette for about 3 years, and when I went to get another refill, they gave me a different brand called Nacrez, both state on the box that the pills contain 75 micrograms of desogestrel.

These are mini-pills with a 12 hour window, so my understanding is that all the pills are active without any placebos, and the instruction leaflet in the box does not say that there are any placebo pills in the box, but it says in the instruction leaflet that I shouldn't start with a random pill and am supposed to start with the top row, taking the tablet that corresponds with the day of the week I am taking that pill...

My question is, does it actually matter which pill I take when or do they just say that so that people who take this pill will be less likely to get confused about whether they've taken a pill that day or not? Because I'm putting the pills into daily dosette boxes then keeping that box on me for the day as I have other medications I take anyway so I just take the pill with one of my other ones, therefore I don't need the days on the BC pack to remind me what I've taken and what I haven't?

EDIT: and I should add that in the time I've been taking Cerazette I've never become pregnant, so far as I know (I guess I could have had a very early miscarriage and not realized), though I have been doubling up with condoms, which is good but does mean I'm less sure of whether I'm using one or both of the two methods correctly.

[ 01-24-2013, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, sorry if I asked this question years before and then forgot your answer, I just wondered about it again because of the pill brand change and subsequent reading of a new information leaflet.

As well, with these brands of minipill, if I miss one, how many days do I have to take it for before I'm protected again? The leaflet says 7 (as, IIRC, did the person at the sexual health clinic that I got my contraceptives from when I first went on them years ago) but my GP says 14 and since I had a little bleeding shortly after missing a pill I thought maybe I was having a... sort of... half period and that might mean it would take longer to become active again (though I understand that realistically it's probably not the case that I'm having a period, this isn't a constant source of anxiety for me, I just figured I might as well ask and be sure).

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jill,

It sounds like you already have some pretty solid sources of information. [Smile]

IN terms of whether you have to take the pills in the order in which they're in the pack, if they all have the same amount of hormone in them, it really shouldn't matter. You can check that with your pharmacist though.

There's no reason not to trust the leaflet in terms of how long you need to use a second method if you miss a pill, but if you're wanting to make extra certain that you don't get pregnant, you certainly can err on the side of caution and use a second method for the longer period of time your doctor recommended.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.