Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth control timing and withdrawal bleed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control timing and withdrawal bleed
explosions12
Neophyte
Member # 95105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for explosions12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I've been reading many different opinions on what is considered a late pill. My NP said if it's more than a couple hours, to use back up. And plenty of other medical professionals (and your site) say that you're fine if you take it within 12 hours of the normal time. I'm just confused. I have only taken it at the most within a 2-3 hour window of my usual time. Is this okay? I only forgot once and sometimes just take it a bit earlier (1-2 hrs) if I have some conflict at my usual time.

Also, if I have sex on my last active pill and still get a withdrawal bleed am I considered not pregnant still even though I had sex so close to the bleed day?
What about having sex on the inactive week after my period ends (day 27-28)? Does the next pack protect me during this time or does the previous pack?

Sorry for all the questions, just need some clarification.

Thanks!

Posts: 15 | From: US | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this a combined pill you're taking or a minipill?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
explosions12
Neophyte
Member # 95105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for explosions12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Combined Pill--Lutera 0.1 mg Levonorgestrel, 0.02 mg ethinyl estradiol
Posts: 15 | From: US | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay.

So, as the patient insert that came with your pill should make clear, a pill taken two hours later than your usual time certainly isn't a late pill. After 12 hours with a combined pill, it's late, after 24, missed.

We suggest backing up in general -- especially since the pill offers no STI protection, which condoms do, so they're what we suggest backing up with -- but if you feel comfortable using your pill alone, so long as you take it properly, and *around* the same time of day each day (as in morning, afternoon or evening) you should have the pill's full effectiveness.

When you have intercourse when using the pill doesn't matter: the pill is equally effective every day of your cycle. That includes during the placebo week so long as you start the next pack on time.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
explosions12
Neophyte
Member # 95105

I never missed a pill, just to clarify. Only at the latest 2.5 hrs after my usual time. And took it about 1 hr earlier before expected time.
Heather
Member # 3

I understand: I was just trying to fill you in on what a late pill is and what a missed pill is so you know when to back up. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

explosions12
Neophyte
Member # 95105

Thanks, I understand it does not protect against STIs, and my boyfriend and I are monogamous and he has been tested after being abstinent for over 6 months.

The withdrawal bleed is a definite sign of no pregnancy even if I had sex on my last active pill? I understand I should be fully protected if I take it on time, I just want to know if the period is a sure sign even with sex on the day before or two it.

Heather
Member # 3

Generally, yes. We know people always want absolute answers from us with this, but I'm afraid we just can rarely give those.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.