Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Nuvaring and new partners

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nuvaring and new partners
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I’m, really, really excited because I just found out my insurance is covering Nuvaring free of charge now, and I have an appointment to go get it in a couple hours.

I’m really excited about not having to remember to take the pill every day, but there’s only one problem.

A lot of people I’ve talked to in the past are “grossed out” but the idea of a piece of plastic that stays in your vagina for 21 days. I’m perfectly fine with it, but the only issue is, what about if I end up getting a partner.

It just seems kind of awkward to say “Oh, just a heads-up, there’s a piece of plastic in there. Don’t let it bother you.” I’m concerned it might freak a future partner out.

So, how would I handle this? Does anyone have any experiences pertaining to this that they want to discuss?

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't know that you WOULD say, "Heads up, there's a piece of plastic in there." I suspect, instead, you might say, "I use the Nuvaring."

And chances are a partner will either a) know what that is, or b) not know, and then you explain it.

But I'd not assume a partner will think it, or any other contraceptive device, is "weird." I don't know what " a lot of people" is, but I'm guessing we're probably not actually talking about a statistically significant sample size here. [Razz]

Cervical barriers, IUDs, the ring, the implant, the female condom -- these are all devices, some of which we've had around for a long time, that are inside the body and work that way to prevent pregnancy.

And I think it's safe to say that, on the whole, most people of age to be having sex with partners in the first place, and with the requisite maturity to handle all that involves, do just fine when it comes to those devices.

It sounds to me like this is more about either your discomfort or a perceived reaction from a partner than anything in actuality, like having had a sexual partner get weird about your BC method: do I have that right?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you put it that way, I guess my worries do sound kind of silly.

Honestly, I haven't talked to too many people about it in person. But one of the ones I did talk to about it was a pharmacist that I used to work with. However, for someone so educated, she had a huge aversion to her own body (including refusing to use tampons solely because she didn't want to touch her own genitals.), so she may have not been the best opinion to listen to.

But I had a really good talk about it with my NP, and she had tons of good things to say. So, I really can't wait until I finish this pack of pills off so I can start it!!!

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just say that they strike me as pretty unfounded.

As well, I'd add that I find often women, both unfortunately and ironically, are more ooky about contraceptive devices -- sometimes including condoms, too! -- than men tend to be. And, presumably, that's the gender of person I assume you might be sleeping with if you're using the ring for contraception.

Ultimately, I think this is mostly a maturity issue. If we're ready to take pregnancy risks and the responsibility of preventing unwanted pregnancy seriously, and understand that our sexual bodies are more than just sexy-sexy (and can be okay with that), then having a partner use a reliable device is mostly just awesome and welcomed more than anything else.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.