Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Levonelle Question: Not bleeding?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Levonelle Question: Not bleeding?
Dementia
Neophyte
Member # 97187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dementia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had unprotected sex yesterday at 2pm, although he pulled out before ejaculation. He says he's masturbated for 2 years now and is 100% sure he pulled out in good time before he ejaculated.
I took Levonelle at 11:30am ish today, but i'm kind of scared.
I have none of the common side effects, seriously, I just feel normal.
And I'm not bleeding.
I am due on my period tomorrow, the doctor says I should let him know next month if I come on.
It was a huge mistake to have sex, and we don't intend to any time soon due to our age.
It was my first time having sexual intercourse, so i'm kind of terrified. My mum took me to the GP, and he says that it may make my period late, but mum says it works by making me bleed out everything that's in my womb???
Does this mean it has failed?
^ I'd quite like just the answer to this question or as few detours as possible please.

Posts: 24 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I understand why you're expecting bleeding right now and are worried you aren't seeing any?

Side effects are just that: side effects. They're not something one should expect to happen -- or happen at a given time -- just things that *can* happen with a medication for some people sometimes.

In other words, plenty of people who use EC feel like they would if they hadn't. Feeling differently doesn't mean the EC is working, and feeling like you are doesn't mean it won't.

[ 11-29-2012, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dementia
Neophyte
Member # 97187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dementia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mum told me it works by forcing out everything in your womb, IE making you have a massive period so you lose anything you may have conceived.

Saying that, my mum has never used EC...

--------------------
<3 ~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning to dance through the rain~

Posts: 24 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. I'd be worried then, too.

You mother misunderstands, quite a lot, how that medication works and also how pregnancy happens. That's not what it does. It sounds like she's confusing it with RU-486, or the abortion pill. THAT works by instigating a miscarriage, when there already IS a pregnancy.

Pregnancy doesn't happen in the time period Plan B works in, so there's nothing IN your uterus -- even if you were going to become pregnant -- for it to get rid of. It takes around a week for a pregnancy to happen, which is why Plan B can work to *prevent* pregnancy when used within 120 hours (or five days).

It works like regular birth control pills do, by with suppressing ovulation, thickening cervical mucus, or thinning the lining of the uterus (any of those or all of them). Those things are what allow it to prevent pregnancy.

Make sense?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.