Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Withdrawal Bleed Expected?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Withdrawal Bleed Expected?
soccer1994
Neophyte
Member # 95645

Icon 9 posted      Profile for soccer1994         Edit/Delete Post 
I take Balziva everyday at 8 am. I have been taking this for about 8 or 9 months. After I take all of the active pills I have always received my withdrawal bleed on time.

I would even say that I am a perfect user. However, halfway through my pills I missed one. I realized this the next day, took the missed pill and the new one and continued on for the rest of the month. Yet the day after I missed the pill I got a week of consistent and heavy bleeding.

Was this my period? And since it was so close to my nonactive pills, the time where I should get my withdrawal bleed, should I expect a withdrawal bleed?
Please help!

Posts: 17 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, we're not the period whisperers, so we can't ever know what was or wasn't someone's period. [Razz]

That said, when using a combined birth control pill, you don't actually have a menstrual period, you have what are called withdrawal bleeds, because that flow primarily happens when your body withdraws from the active pills, be that during the placebo period, or because a pill or pills were missed or taken late.

So, for sure, this might have happened when it did because of missing your pill.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccer1994
Neophyte
Member # 95645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccer1994         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for answering! I really appreciate it:)

So I could consider that my withdrawal bleed? I guess I am asking because I had dry humped partially clothed previously that month.
I am just a little confused. Sorry!

Posts: 17 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I understand what the dry humping has to do with any of this: you know by now that doesn't pose a risk of pregnancy.

If it was like your usual withdrawal bleeds except for the timing, then yes, you can probably figure that's what it was.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccer1994
Neophyte
Member # 95645

Ok! Thank you very much!

And thanks again for your patience on explaining all of this to me. I don't have anyone to talk to about this stuff. Your website has solely educated me about these topics!

Should I skip the placebo pills and start my next active pack?

Heather
Member # 3

Happy to help, soccer. [Smile]

If and when you get a withdrawal bleed while taking the pill, no matter when you get it, you keep taking your pills as you normally would, without skipping pills. In other words, don't take them any differently than you would if your withdrawal bleed showed up during the placebo pills. Make sense?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

soccer1994
Neophyte
Member # 95645

That makes perfect sense! I am going to not expect a withdrawal bleed until next month.

Thank you so much for the time and effort you put on this site, it really makes a difference:)

Heather
Member # 3

You're so welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.