Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Condoms and lube question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condoms and lube question
jackkim
Neophyte
Member # 98981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackkim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend and I are thinking of having sexual intercourse and we will be using condoms. I read on Scarleteen that using lube is important in preventing the condom from breaking. However, my girlfriend is afraid of getting a yeast infection. We are thinking of getting some Astroglide from our local Wal-greens since CVS doesn't have it.

The thing is she said that she has never gotten a yeast infection before, so would using the water based Astroglide cause her to get a yeast infection?

Some other questions I have are, how do I apply a drop into the condom if it is from a bottle? Do I just apply a drop and put the condom on or do I swirl the lube around the tip then put it on? How do I put it on the outside of the condom? Do I just pour a little on my hands and run my hands all over the condom after it is on? How would my girlfriend wash the lube out? Would she need to put the shower head facing her vagina?

Posts: 16 | From: Honolulu, Hawaii | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI jackkim,

If your girlfriend has never had a yeast infection before, it's unlikely that she will get one from the lube. To make extra sure, though, you will want to find a lube that does not have glycerin in it as glycerin in lube is known to trigger yeast infections in some people.

I'm not sure if Astroglide contains glycerin, but if it does, you'll probably be able to find another lube at the drugstore. Most places carry more than one brand.

Just pouring a little drop of lube into the condom should be fine.

IN terms of putting the lube on the outside, people often do find it easier to pour the lube into their hand first before applying it to the outside of a condom or any body part.

There's no special way your girlfriend needs to wash the lube off. However she usually washes her vulva will be enough. BEing water-based means that it will clean up very easily.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackkim
Neophyte
Member # 98981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackkim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help Robin.

But I still have a little bit more questions. Is it possible for guys to get yeast infections from using lube? If I put a drop of lube in the tip of the condom before putting it on, won't the lube run down the condom and into my penis when I put the condom on? If I apply lube to the outside of the condom, won't the lube get into my girlfriend's vagina when I insert my penis into her? How will she wash it out if it is in her vagina?

Posts: 16 | From: Honolulu, Hawaii | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI jackkim,

First of all, lube in itself doesn't cause yeast infections. As I mentioned above, lube that has glycerin in it can exacerbate things for people who are already prone to yeast infections.

Guys can get yeast infections, but it's rare, and again, the lube won't cause one.

Lube won't just stay in your girlfriend's vagina. Vaginas are self-cleaning; they create a lot of secretions to make sure they stay balanced chemically. So, for lack of a better way to put it, the vagina will wash lube (particularly water-based lube) out very easily over a little time after the lube has been used.

It's similar with the penis. Should lube get inside the urethra, the process of ejaculation, and later urination, will clean it right out.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackkim
Neophyte
Member # 98981

Thanks Robin.

One last question that I have is that I read the Scarleteen instructions on how to put on a condom and for the step where I pinch the tip. Do I pinch the tip, then put it on? Or do I put it on the tip of my penis, the pinch the condom tip?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're most welcome.

Either way is fine. The goal is just to make sure that there's extra space in the tip of the condom after it's rolled down the penis. Whatever way you find it easiest to do that is fine. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.