Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth control and Blood Pressure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control and Blood Pressure
toy303
Neophyte
Member # 41883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toy303     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been on alesse for about 1.5 years and for the last 6 months Lutera the generic for alesse. Well last April I noticed a slightly elevated bp and went to the NP who prescribed it and she checked it then and said I was fine. Well During Christmas Break my BP was 150/90. So as soon as I got back to school decided to get it checked out.

So Ive decided to stop the BC officially a week ago. My BP is now 140/88 ish but Im wondering how long does it take for the BP to lower again?

I think I have developed some sort of anxiety in the process and now experience palpitations? What are your thoughts? My endocrinologist is very helpful but never quite answers my questions?

Id really appreciate any info you can give me

Posts: 26 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has your NO or GP, or your endocrinologist suggested that your current BP is anything for you to be concerned about?

I ask because where you're at now is still in the normal range. As well, do you know what your BP was before you took the pill, and that the elevated BP was even related to the pill?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toy303
Neophyte
Member # 41883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toy303     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My bp when i last went to my doc concerning my bp was 115/65 so that was fine. We've ruled out thyroid, adrenal secreting masses, and i guess the thing that worries her the most is when Im agitated it hits 150-160/100. My endo says(rather emails me) she thinks it is my bp but is having my kidneys checked just in case, as well as, an ekg just to be certain.

My endo actually told me to complete the pack of bc and end on my next set of placebos but my worry crept in and seeing as id only taken 6 pills i just stopped last week. I'm just wondering when I should go back to normal?

Posts: 26 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not knowing if this actually has anything to do with your pill, or is entirely about your pill, we can't say.

But, when it comes to things like returning to normal, regular fertility -- which is pretty much the baseline for knowing when your system is back to normal per a contraceptive -- I'd say around three to six months is fairly average.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toy303
Neophyte
Member # 41883

and that 115/65 was the reading I had done in April of last year.

My bp was checked in october of last year as well and it was about 140/87. But when I visited the doc concerned about it it was 160/104 in the office. So that's their prelim guesstimate...

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since your doctors are on top of this, I imagine that if they do think it's the birth control, they'll suggest a way to manage your blood pressure until the impact of the pill has worked it's way out of your system.

Have you also shared your concerns with your doctors in terms of how long that will take?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.