Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Breakthrough bleeding and stopping/switching brands

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Breakthrough bleeding and stopping/switching brands
explosions12
Neophyte
Member # 95105

Icon 5 posted      Profile for explosions12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

I recently started Lutera this month and for about a week and continuing, I've been having breakthrough bleeding. I was on Mononessa before for 3 months and this never happened. I don't know if it is ok to stop this brand, because I can't handle these side effects for 2 more months. Can I just stop the pill after this month? And can I also switch brands if I decide to? My doctor said it is best to stay with this one but I don't like it at all, it made me breakout terribly and this bleeding sucks. I just want another opinion to see if I can do what I really want or will my body be all screwy afterwards.

Thanks

Posts: 15 | From: US | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi explosions12

What was the reason for you switching to this brand in the first place?

Certainly you can tell your doctor you'd like to try another brand.

Know though that there's no way of predicting side effects on any brand, and that many side effects do go away or become less severe over time. What would it take for you to stick it out with this brand for a coule of more months to see if there are changes?

Is going back to the Mononessa an option since you didn't have these side effects with that one?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
explosions12
Neophyte
Member # 95105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for explosions12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'd like to try Mononessa again because it was used for my acne control and I never had any side effects such as breakthrough bleeding. I don't want to keep bleeding on this pill because then I can't even have sex and I just feel uncomfortable all the time. I just received Lutera from planned parenthood for free and I thought I'd try it but it is giving me all these problems. Is it normal to be bleeding for this long?
Posts: 15 | From: US | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How heavy is the bleeding? Is it spotting or more like spotting, or more like menstrual flow?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
explosions12
Neophyte
Member # 95105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for explosions12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not heavy it is light but not just a spot. Its light bleeding, browner red color. It has been going on for one week and I am on inactive pills now for 3 days and it hasn't stopped. Doc said to expect a lighter period but how do I know if it is a period if it is the same bleeding pattern?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we;'re just talking about around a week, then no, I'd not say that's at all unusual, nor cause for concern.

Too, changes with this new pill in terms of things like a lighter period might not be something you see in the first pill pack: it might take a few to settle in. same goes for some of these side effects.

Since side effects tend to be bigger, and more common, when first starting any brand of pill, I'd advise waiting it out at least one more pack, and ideally two more, before you switch again. especially since switching again means you probably will just extend effects.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
explosions12
Neophyte
Member # 95105

Ok thanks. What if I don't stop bleeding and my period is just this very light bleeding, is there any reason to worry? Maybe I should just say, when should I worry? I would rather honestly just stop the pill if its gonna keep doing this. Is that ok to do after just this one month?
Heather
Member # 3

I'd say that if you see more than spotting for more than two weeks, it's time to call your prescribing physician and see what they have to say about that.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.