Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Delaying a Period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Delaying a Period
BustaEve
Activist
Member # 50827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BustaEve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I have been on Yasmin for about 2 years.

I am going on holiday from the 4th to 6th of December and that would be the week of my withdrawal bleed, and I don't want to get my period while on holiday.

About a year ago I did skip the sugar pills to avoid a withdrawal bleed but I had breakthrough spotting so that didn't have the desired effect.

My question is: after my next withdrawal bleed, instead of resuming to take Yasmin immediately can I stop taking the Pill altogether for a week and then resume the following week so that would mean my withdrawal bleed would come a week later, after I got back from holiday?
I understand the effectiveness of the Pill would be compromised for at least 2 weeks - the week I don't take the Pill at all, and the first week taking it - apart from that are there any other complications? Will this plan work?

Thank-you for your time.

[Smile]

Posts: 77 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably good to check with your doctor on this one [Smile] . I suspect that if you followed this plan, you may get irregular bleeding during the whole time you're off the pill plus the first week back on it or longer. As you say, your contraception is also compromised for 2 weeks (maybe safer to say 3 weeks, including the initial week you're taking the sugar pills).

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BustaEve, just a thought: it's my understanding that a person should check with their doctor before skipping the placebo pills, but if your doctor oks it, what you could do is skip the withdrawal bleed Before the one when you're away. That way, you'd be on a different week of pills during your holiday.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1444 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BustaEve
Activist
Member # 50827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BustaEve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks both for your response.

I hadn't thought of that idea Redskies, but sounds like a good one, thanks [Smile]

Posts: 77 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.