Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Struggles-Patch

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Struggles-Patch
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I apologize for starting a new thread but my other threads sorta relate to this but... if I need to continue this conversation on one of mine, let me know.)

It's about birth control and my life.

So my cousin told me I'm wasting my time just for going to a coffee shop to have coffee with someone that I wasted a good chunk of time to do job searches. I told her I'm going to Church for coffee and she told me I need to prioritize my time for important things. I have zero social life, Ive been here for four months and I haven't made any friends. She thinks I'm wasting my time and not taking things seriously in finding a job.

I'm balancing personal time, job searches and social life. Where did I mention health, I didn't. If I add health in that, she would still say I'm wasting my time. I'm not sure what is important at this point; finding a job to pay rent, having a social life, time to myself, my health, etc., I'm lost. I'm scared to go get my health checked because of this.

I have no money at all, nothing. I need to see a doctor to go on Birth Control and I can't afford any medication and so I came to a conclusion, go to a sexual health clinic. Problem is, it's open during the day (If I go and she asks me where I went, I'll say for a bike ride) she would tell me I wasted time in finding a job. I'm not going to tell her I went to get birth control. Where my doctor works there is a sexual health clinic and I'm unsure if they would help cover for the first month to three months until I get money going and I'm not sure if they would give me Patches for free, I'm sure they would give me the pills. I had issues on them, forgetting to take them, causing upset stomach.

I'm experiencing pain in my hip area, this constant pain. Then a few days ago I had pain where your ovaries are located (I've had ovarian cysts before) and gotta say, it hurt for a couple days. I've been ignoring this for a while thinking it should get better, it's not. And from what I understand birth control can help with ovarian cysts.

I can not think that they can't help me with patches, not like I'm asking for much. I'm broke. Even if I could afford it, I could only pay 5 bucks... my bank account is basically empty and that 5 bucks would leave me with a few dollars...

What should I do?

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I pull this back for a minute and ask you why you're trying to make these decisions based, at all, on what your cousin thinks?

As well, have you been diagnosed with ovarian cysts? If so, were you prescribed any medication, including the patch, for them in the past?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67084 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel she is has a valid point, me wasting my time not doing job searches. I've done 10 already and did some calls.

Yes I've been diagnosed with Ovarian cysts. They did an ultrasound and I had to go back to the emergency for my results and they told me one had burst (which made sense because the night before I was in pain) the doctor told me birth control can help reduce it. I then spoke with a sexual health nurse and she told me it helps that the bubbles (whatever that is, water) form on every women each month and most don't feel them. So, I went on birth control, I was on it then they changed it from Aleese to some pill with a lower dose and it helped. I then kept forgetting to take it and caused an upset stomach. So, I had a script for the Patch and didn't have money for it, then I got caught up with packing to move, was going to get it at the health clinic for free or reduced price. I couldn't let myself get a shot or have that ring in my vagina and the patch seems more gentle and easy.

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm killing myself right now, it's almost 5pm here and offices close then and just... I need to call to make an appointment and I'm scared... urgh
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, you should still be able to get your patch covered if it was going to be as medication for the cysts before.

I suggest you call whoever you saw who prescribed it that time to find out if this can be covered for you.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67084 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

I called the office and she told me they come Tuesdays and Fridays and asked if I needed to make an appointment, she said no it's walk in. I asked when it's opened, she didn't know...

I'll go to the Clinic tomorrow and talk to them about it. I mean if they give out free condoms they should provide a Patch for me, due to a medical issue and (if I do engage in sex) I would be safe.

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

I took two Midal pills hoping it would help with the pain, I don't have any other pain relievers. Would they help at all? I bought them when I was on my period thinking it would help with a massive headache, being sore and crammpy, never did a thing. It's odd that I'm getting cramps while on my period and I'm not on my period, I hope it helps.
Heather
Member # 3

I can't say what they "should" and shouldn't cover, and I don't know if it would matter if I did. Tnhe issue here is what can and can't be covered, and that's likely a matter of public policy, not anything a doctor or clinician themselves can decide. (So be nice to them this time, eh? No yelling! [Smile] )

Not knowing what exactly is going on, I can't say what will help you here.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

urgh... Why does it feel like something is sitting on my bladder, I'm getting tired of going to the washroom every 20-40 minutes and it's a constant pressure on my bladder and on the side. I'm starting to feel sick.

I hardly drank fluids and my urine is clear and I don't understand how I'm peeing so much...?

Heather
Member # 3

Alergnon, dear heart, none of us can answer questions like this for you. I know you know by now these are the kinds of things you need to talk with a healthcare provider who can see you in person about.

I know we've talked for a while about you finally getting some established sexual and reproductive healthcare, and that you're also finally living in an area with an array of clinics that do this: I may be behind, but have you connected with any of this yet?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

I have a doctor's appointment in November but she has a after hours walk in clinic Wednesdays at 5pm-9pm so I'm going to go and see her then. I am still going to the Sexual Health Clinic tomorrow and going to the walk in clinic Wednesday. I need counseling and referrals from her.
Heather
Member # 3

All sounds good. So, I'd say you just need to hang in until tomorrow, then.

If you don't have any pain relievers that are working for you, you might try a hot bath or hot water bottle in the meantime. Some stretches might help, too. And rest.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

The Sexual Health Clinic is open from 5pm to 8pm, me I'll be making my way there at 4:30pm to be there early to get in faster than showing up at 6pm and waiting.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best of luck at the clinic! [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

They couldn't give me the patch due to it was out of their practice because of my underlining medical problems that they asked me. They told me I needed to discuss them with my family doctor I don't see her till November but I am seeing her Sunday at her walk-in-clinic. It's just confusing right now.
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Anyways, from my past experience in trying to receive medical care by the same health care building, and what had happened this evening I have filed and sent a complaint on behalf of myself of not receiving proper medical treatment and being told false information.

This letter I sent via e-mail has;

Pages: 3
Words: 1,657
Characters (no spaces): 7,385
Characters (with spaces): 9040
Paragraphs: 18
Lines: 127

Honestly, this for me is a serious matter for me when being told by doctors and a nurse practitioner I have underlining medical issues that need to be addressed and taken care of. The doctors wont do a thing for me, wont provide testing, treatment, nothing for me, their reason is; see you family doctor so she can follow up on this and I don't want to take her role of being your patient when I'm not, sorta deal.

So provided that information and that letter, makes you wonder what happened given all the numbers, gotta say, I'm tired and I'm not waiting and I've asked for them to do tests and the refuse. So, this battle has begun.

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Turns out I can not file a complaint towards the medical building, only to a doctor. Spent 20 minutes on the phone with them who deal with complaints...

Plan 2 begins.

Heather
Member # 3

Obviously, it's up to you what ti file a complaint about, and that's certainly your right.

That said, various clinics or practitioners will have limits on what they can and cannot do. So, more times than not, if a doctor or clinician says they are unable to do something due to things like pre-existing health conditions that aren't part of their practice, education or licensure, there's usually a good reason, and they also often can't make exceptions, even if and when they'd like to.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Well, that e-mail I sent in, paid off, the lady called me, talked to me. Then she called the medical building I was at. 5-10 minutes later she calls me back to tell me I have an appointment October 3rd at 6:15pm. I was shocked. People need to realize if I know my rights as a human aren't being treated right or fairly I speak up.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.