Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Pregnancy/Birth Control Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy/Birth Control Question
ldc
Neophyte
Member # 97257

Icon 11 posted      Profile for ldc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm cis-female, and last night as my cis-male boyfriend was pulling out after sex, I realized the condom was slipping off. I grabbed it just as the opening was at the tip of his penis, and I grabbed it and pulled it out of me. The opening of the condom was just outside of my vulva. I just had to take the morning after pill a week ago because of a similar experience, but where the condom actually did come off, so I don't want to take it again unless the risk of pregnancy is really significant. I am thinking since it was still outside my vulva I should be fine?

The second part of this is birth control options because this is the third time something like this has happened in about 3 months. My partner is above average in size, so I don't *think* it has to do with a poor fitting condom. We are both each others first partners, so maybe we are doing something wrong?

Also, I was on a hormonal birth control for about a month and a half a few months ago, but one, I didn't like how it made me feel (moods up and down constantly, breaking out, bloated) and two, I'm honestly terrible at remembering to take any medication, especially when it has to be at the same time every day. If I could figure out a way to remember to take it the same time every day, would the symptoms I experienced even themselves out if I stayed on it a little longer? I would love to get an IUD, but I've heard it's really painful, and I'm worried about that. Other than that, I'm not really sure what I can do, but condoms alone aren't working.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I wasn't there, I don't really think I should make any definite judgement on the condom-slipping-off situation. If you felt like you acted before there was any spillage, I would say that the risk of pregnancy is not "really significant." However, the conclusion here and decision whether or not to take the morning-after pill should be your own.

What kind of condom are you and your partner using? This is easily not relevant here, but it is good to keep in mind- there are different kinds of condoms for differently-sized penises- just because your partner is "above average" does not mean all condoms shouldn't be in danger of coming off.

A very common reason for this kind of situation , however, is the male partner waiting too long to pull out after ejaculation. That is, after your boyfriend ejaculates, he will lose his erection, thus there will be extra space in the condom. So it makes sense that as he pulls out of you, the now-loose condom could easily slip off. As well as adjusting the time after ejaculation to pull out, your boyfriend could also use his hand to hold on the base of the condom, to ensure no spillage will occur.

And, adjusting to birth control can be very difficult. There are some people who have no side-effects, and some people who for some reason seem to get almost every single little thing out there. I know a lot of women who have just essentially weathered through 1-3 months of side effects, and then have been just fine. For certain pills, you can experience more side effects if you do not remember to take your pill at the same time every day. Perhaps consider a method where your memory is less essential, like Nuvaring? To figure this out, it really depends on your personal situation, so the best thing is to make a consultation appointment to discuss this issue with your doctor.

[ 09-10-2012, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Claire P. ]

Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.