Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » quick Sunday Start question...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: quick Sunday Start question...
pamplemousse
Neophyte
Member # 96224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamplemousse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning on starting the pill (Tri-Sprintec) tomorrow and I just picked up my prescription yesterday. When I was reading the Sunday start directions, they said to begin the pack the Sunday after your period begins, which would be tomorrow. However, they also said that if your period begins on a Sunday, you should begin that day. I got my period last Sunday but was still undecided about a birth control method at that point - will it be okay for me to begin my pack tomorrow or did I miss my chance until next month?
Posts: 25 | From: Florida/Indiana | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamplemousse
Neophyte
Member # 96224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamplemousse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd REALLY like an answer on this by today if possible - sorry to be annoying, but I'm really hoping I won't have to wait to start the pack and I want to take it at a specific time [Smile]
Posts: 25 | From: Florida/Indiana | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, personally, am not sure of the exact position of starting on day 8 of your cycle rather than days 1-7, but hopefully someone will be along who can fill you in more accurately on that.

What I Can tell you is the general information on starting the pill at any time other than days 1-7. As far as I've read other more knowledgeable folk here say, it's possible to start taking the pill at any point in the cycle. Starting later than days 1-7 means it's more likely to put your cycle out of whack certainly for the first month, and perhaps the next couple too - it's more likely to have effects like spotting while in the middle of active pills. Starting later than days 1-7 May mean it takes longer for your body to adjust to the new hormones and patterns.

The second important point is, starting later than days 1-7 means you can't rely on your pill for contraception for the whole of the first pack, so you should back up with another method.

Here's a couple of links to where Scarleteen staff talk about starting the pill at different times:
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/i_started_the_pill_in_the_middle_of_my_cycle_wheres_my_period
and particularly the first question and answer in this one: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/a_birth_control_pill_five_by_five

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI pamplemousse,

It's absolutely okay for you to start your pack today. The recommendations on when to start the pill have to do mostly with how soon it will be effective as birth control.

Here at Scarleteen, we suggest using a back-up method of birth control for the entire first cycle if you're going to be engaging in sexual activity that could lead to pregnancy.

For future reference, if you have a question like this that is time sensitive and we're slow to respond here, calling your pharmacist is also an option for getting the information you need.

Again, yes, it's okay for you to start your pills today.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamplemousse
Neophyte
Member # 96224

Thank you both so much! I had hoped I could count on its protection after the first week, as I had read, but plan on backing up with condoms regardless. To be EXTRA safe, I could just keep some EC on hand, right? Since it essentially performs the same function (preventing ovulation) as the pill, in case the pill hasn't totally taken effect yet AND we have a condom malfunction or something?

This site is the biggest lifesaver.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

Well, that is a lot of ifs. If you want to keep some EC on hand, you certainly could do that, but you could also save your money and only get it if you do have a condom break.

That's not "professional" opinion by the way; just some friendly advice to save you a little money. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamplemousse
Neophyte
Member # 96224

Hi,

One more quick question. I started my pack as planned and have had perfect use so far. I know when you start perfectly, during your period, you can count on the pill's protection after the first week. I'm going to use condoms to back up no matter what, but for my own peace of mind, is it likely that I can count on at least SOME level of protection since I've started the pill? Starting on day 8 of the cycle isn't equivalent to not having begun at all, correct? I know it may not be at its highest rate of effectiveness; I'm just hoping that there's some level of protection there.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hi There,

After seven days of taking the pill, it is often considered effective. It's really pretty hard to know if that is the case for each individual person, since everyone's body does something different and it's hard to predict (sometimes even during a period) what someone's menstrual cycle is doing before starting the pill.

That said, if you've been taking your pill for a week or more, you can expect that it's doing what it's supposed to do. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

pamplemousse
Neophyte
Member # 96224

Hi and thanks for all your continued help! One more thing...

I had sex multiple times over the course of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, after beginning my pill pack two weeks ago from Sunday, as described in all these other posts. We used condoms perfectly each time we actually had intercourse, but I was so concerned about some direct genital contact that briefly occurred on Saturday night that I took plan B one step on Sunday afternoon. I'm not as paranoid about pregnancy as I was the first time last month, but I'm still getting occasional, irrational thoughts. I know I shouldn't trust most stuff on the internet, but I just found this when I googled my pill. It was on a forum where someone had taken EC shortly after beginning the pill:

"Plan B acts by provoking sudden increase and right after that sudden decrease of the estrogen hormone level. Sudden decrease of the estrogen level in fact provokes endometrial rubbing and withdrawal bleeding. This prevents embedding of the eventually fertilized egg-cell. Taking regular pills after "plan B" might prevent the hormonal level decreasing so I disagree to continue taking the regular pills as long as she get withdrawal bleeding."

Read more: Birth Control Forum - Tri-sprintec effectiveness http://ehealthforum.com/health/tri-sprintec-effectiveness-t149260-a1.html#ixzz22nVfEYqJ

...This is incorrect, right? The pill doesn't make EC any less effective and EC doesn't make the pill any less effective? I was under the impression that they do the exact same thing - I just took EC on the off chance that my pill hadn't fully taken effect yet.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Yes, this is incorrect. Both EC and daily birth control function the same way.

And, not everyone bleeds right after taking Plan B. Bleeding is not necessary for Plan B to be effective.

--------------------
Robin

pamplemousse
Neophyte
Member # 96224

Thanks - I figured but just wanted to make sure, especially if anyone else happens to not know and read this.
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good on you, pamplemousse! [Smile]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.