Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth control pill woes (I'm back again)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control pill woes (I'm back again)
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a couple months ago about my BC pills making me feel bad. Unfortunately, I'm back again and this time feeling sicker.

I have taken the same pill, Nortrel 1/35 for almost a year now. I had no real adverse side effects except for breast tenderness until a couple months ago. Then I started experiencing nausea, extreme back pain, headaches and fatigue. Not at the time of my period either, but mid-pack. I made an appointment but couldn't get in for 3 weeks. In the meantime, I felt better and for another 2 months I had no side effects. Now, they are back with a vengeance. I had my period 2 weeks ago and am now starting my last week of active pills. For the past 3 days I have had extreme stomach cramps, unbearable breast tenderness, back pain, and bouts of nausea where I vomited once.
My question I guess is, is it possible to have side effects spring up after having none for so long? And can they come and go?
I haven't had any breakthrough bleeding, and I think I can rule out pregnancy since I am very dilligent about taking my pills and always back up with condoms, save once.

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, I think until a healthcare provider can get a look at you, run some tests if needed, we just can't know what is going on, and if all of this is related to your pill or not.

By all means, though, how a hormonal method works for folks can change over time, pretty much at any time. So, this COULD be about your pills, it also may not be, and until you can get seen, I don't think we can even hazard a guess, really.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I have an appointment in the morning so hopefully it turns out okay.

If it is the pills, I plan on switching. I'd just say goodbye to hormonal BC all together but I really like the level of protection im getting from them and condoms together. One day I'd like to try FAM to get a sense of my cycle but it's not right for me right now.

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could also ask about all your options. For instance, IUDs provide greater effectiveness than any of the combined hormonal methods.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Thanks again Heather. I've been interested in IUDs for some time now but it seems like every time I bring them up my doctor discourages me from using them or doesn't really give me much information. All of my information I've gotten on here about IUDs.
Heather
Member # 3

Do you have any options to switch doctors?

Sexual/repro health doctors now should have the education to know that age or pregnancy history has no bearing on who is a candidate for an IUD. So, if and when someone gets a doc these days who doesn't know that, then it makes sense to be concerned that doctor isn't keeping up with their continued education, which is obviously a multi-layered problem.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

I am moving soon, so I'll be finding a new doctor which I am happy about. After several tests, nothing showed up. At first my doctor thought it could be a bladder infection but that wasn't the case. I am finishing the rest of this pack of pills and then starting a new brand when I come off my placebo week. That's the only explanation my doctor had. Hopefully this brand will work until I can try another method. [Smile]

Thanks for your information as always it is greatly appreciated.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.