Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth Control Help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Help
taylors
Neophyte
Member # 96237

Icon 4 posted      Profile for taylors     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking Sprintec 28 for about almost two weeks, and I was wondering how effective it is as of now, and how effective it will in another two weeks? My boyfriend and I are sexually active and we have used a condom every time, but now that I'm on birth control we would like to maybe not use one, Do you think that is a good idea? Also, I was wondering when it will start helping my acne?
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
natureamor
Neophyte
Member # 96219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for natureamor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends, if you started the birth control on the first day of your period you should be okay to have sex on BC only. Now the acne depends on every girl since we're all different also considering how our hormones affect us. I think your fine to have sex with your boyfriend without a condom at this moment.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Natureamor is right for sure - with most brands of birth control, you will be protected after a week. What I would say though, if you're a little worried, is to have sex with condoms as a back-up for the first month of you being on the pill; and then stop using them if you like. It's up to you! [Smile]

I agree with Natureamor about the acne - everyone is different and will respond to medication differently. Do you use any facial cleansers for your skin? You could use those in the meantime, if you like. [Smile]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I've seen more knowledgeable folk than me advise before is, if you start taking the pill within 7 days of the first day of your period, and you take it completely correctly, then you should have maximum protection from your pill after a week - but if you Really don't want to become pregnant, it still does no harm to back up for the first month just to be sure. If you start taking your pill at any other time in your cycle, you can assume that you Don't have its full protection for the first month of taking it, so should back up for all of that month. Either way, once you start your second pack, you can expect that your pill will provide you with its maximum protection, so long as you go on taking it correctly.

Hormonal birth control doesn't offer any protection from STIs, so if you're thinking about having unprotected sex with your boyfriend, it's important to have a conversation with him about this first. Have you and he talked about this, or been tested for STIs? To have safer sex, both partners should test negative for STIs, then be sexually exclusive for six months, then test negative again, before they go without barriers.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
taylors
Neophyte
Member # 96237

Icon 7 posted      Profile for taylors     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you guys so much! I really appreciate your responses more than anything (:
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.