Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Best combination of birth control methods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best combination of birth control methods
Tealrain
Neophyte
Member # 47891

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Tealrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay I am currently on the birth control pill, have been for a year now, my partner and I are going to use condoms in conjunction with this, and I was considering using a spermicide also. Does anyone think this will help decrease the chances of pregnancy? Or will it not make a difference?
Posts: 5 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're already using the pill and condoms properly, your risk of pregnancy is about as close to zero as it gets. Spermicide really isn't necessary, and wouldn't change your risk any.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ariel_bee
Neophyte
Member # 96069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ariel_bee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi, i've been using diane-35 for 3 years already, some time i stopped taking it as the doctor said for like 2 months so as to monitor if i will regulate without the help of this pills. For 3 years of medication, my body got dependent on the pills as the doctor says because we kept on failing to regulate it. That was when i am not sexually active but now i am sexually active. My menstruation falls the same day for 2 months already and i think this is improving. I'm taking the pills regularly no miss but time change some times. But i'm scared to get pregnant though my partner do the withdrawal method. But i read it's effectiveness when preejaculated already because there is a risk that a sperm will came out before it ejaculates again. We did it on my 3rd fertile day, will i get pregnant though i took the pill after?

--------------------
need help

Posts: 3 | From: ph | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, you are taking the pill again now? When did you go back on the pill?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ariel_bee
Neophyte
Member # 96069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ariel_bee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes i am, taking it again since march until now. Since my doctor stopped me last december 2011.

--------------------
need help

Posts: 3 | From: ph | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, if you are taking the pill every day at about the same time, it's doing its job as birth control. The birth control pill has been found to be 92% effective at preventing pregnancy with typical use, and 99% effective with perfect use. This means that most people who take it consistently every day probably fall somewhere between those numbers.

So, whenever we engage in sexual activity that has a risk of pregnancy, there is some risk. When using birth control that risk is dramatically decreased.

The withdrawal method on its own has been shown to be 96% effective when used perfectly; that is, when the person with the penis withdraws well before ejaculation.

There's lots of information in this article about combining birth control methods:

The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

One thing neither the pill nor the withdrawal method protects against is STI (sexually transmitted infection) transmission. Have you and your boyfriend been tested for STIs recently?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ariel_bee
Neophyte
Member # 96069

Icon 12 posted      Profile for ariel_bee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi thanks for the supporting words that lessen my worries. And also, is it true that taking diane-35 just gives me a fake ovulation? It means that i'll never get pregnant while i'm still taking it?

We haven't get tested because we are both our 1st partner.

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pill doesn't give you a "fake" ovulation, it just prevents ovulation from happening at all. And while no method of birth control is 100% effective - there is always a chance of pregnancy if you're having the kinds of sex that can create pregnancy - the pill means that risk is small.

In terms of STIs, if you are each other's first partner for all kinds of sex, then your risk of STIs is low. It's still a good idea to get into the habit of getting tested regularly, though.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.