Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » backup method?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: backup method?
artsygirl643
Activist
Member # 51449

Icon 5 posted      Profile for artsygirl643     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just switched from the pill to nuvaring(sorry if I've been posting more questions about it lately!) and it says on the pamphlet that if you've been taking your pills on time then no backup method is needed. I have taken my pills correctly during my last pack, but I was prescribed antibiotics which I was told may possibly decrease its effectiveness the week that I took them and an additional two weeks after. Those three weeks had passed before I started taking the nuvaring, so I still don't have to worry about reduced protection, right?
Posts: 59 | From: california | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antibiotics are only an issue for the pill pack that you are on while you are taking the antibiotic. Once you start the new pack, you're fine. So if you switched to the Nuva Ring without pause (that is, you put it in the day you would have started your new pack), you should be able to rely on it.

But with cases of drug interference, it's always best to double-check with your prescribing doctor or pharmacist.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artsygirl643
Activist
Member # 51449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for artsygirl643     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I called an advice nurse and she said that there isn't really research to prove that the antibiotics that I was on made it less effective, so I should be fine. When I was given the antibiotics at the pharmacy, I asked about the interaction (they didn't bring it up themselves, which I thought was weird) and the pharmacist only said it 'might' reduce effectiveness. It's crazy how framing affects everything!
Posts: 59 | From: california | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And they might: the jury really is out with some antibiotics and hormonal contraceptives (others, we know they don't interact), so pharmacists and doctors tend to err on the side of caution, since most people using them want to avoid pregnancy.

Also, an interaction with hormonal contraceptives and other meds doesn't always mean the contraceptives are less effective. Sometimes it can make the other medication so, other times side effects from wither can be more intense, etc.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.